This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing kubuntu

HI, I downloaded the iso of kubuntu from the main website, then burnt it to an iso. I am going head first into linux so I wiped my hard drive of xp, I inserted the kubuntu iso everything went fine, up to install database, then it hung...I rebooted and tried to install again, but it now said that there was an error and I should go back and install from the cd, so again I try to install the data base but again it said I should go back and install from the cd...again the data base wouldn't install....So I went on another computer and downloaded the install version of kubuntu again.....but this time I tried the check cd for integrity and if failed..so not having a os system on my computer and not wanting to go back to xp I found an old cd of sarge, This time the iso packed very well, and the odd thing is ubuntu name came up?....anyway i continued with the install and sure enough it was ubuntu os...now do I have the sarge "goods" (engines, kde etc...)with the desktop of ubuntu? --or do I have the kubuntu "goods" with the ubuntu desktop?

I have kerrel 2.6.8.1 as per computer config,,,,,,,,

Re: installing kubuntu

For me you're using sarge... But not sure.
    Can you check your /etc/apt/sources.list ?
    It should contain breezy, or hoary if you're running (k)ubuntu (maybe even dapper if you're kamikaze )
    If it contains stable, unstable, it's a sarge OS.

If you're on sarge and you want to move to (k)ubuntu, check this page ( http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...6&postcount=38 ) and copy/paste the sources.list instead of yours. then :
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    And you should have hundreds of package to download and upgrade.

I'm not sure, your system will restart but if you just installed it, so it's never mind I think, no ?

Comment

Working...
    X