Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i switched to kubuntu and need help with wifi drivers and ati graphics, help!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i switched to kubuntu and need help with wifi drivers and ati graphics, help!!!

Hi again i decided screw windows and i installed kubuntu , so i was wel chuffed then i descovered i forgot about my graphics card and my wireless interent and i cant use them, o i went to google and searched for questions about it an i found mad wifi, but i dont understand the help page on how to use it, keep in mine i have no knowlege on kubuntu or any other linux systems. so could some one help me with my atheros ar5005g wireless card an my ati radeon xpress 2oom graphics card. also while im asking for help how do u install beryl and where do i get it? thanks so much for help last time and hopefully it will be good this time 2.

Re: i switched to kubuntu and need help with wifi drivers and ati graphics, help

I am also experiencing ATI problems; not with instalation but with crashing after instal.

Maybe this'll help:

for breezy badger (5.10):
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

for dapper drake (6.06):

for edgy eft (6.10):

for feisty fawn (7.04):

Feel free to PM me if you need more help; no guaruntees but I'm dealing with this quite a bit at the moment.

I have a Netgear WG311T PCI card; it has an Atheros chipset and just works "out of the box" but I couldn't get it working in Kubuntu Edgy. I solved this by installing Ubuntu Edgy then installing kubuntu-desktop from the repository; Ubuntu seems to work better with wireless and just connects atomatically on boot once you've set it up in settings>wireless>something, but I don't like Gnome, I like KDE so this has helped me.

Supported wireless cards for Ubuntu AND Kubuntu:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

As for berryl; I'm pretty sure it's still at least in beta and is twitchy, there are how tos online (google ubuntu beryl or something) but I'd leave it alone for now. I think it's in the repositories.

Auisce

Comment

Re: i switched to kubuntu and need help with wifi drivers and ati graphics, help!!!

Greetings, I have somewhat the same problem, I have a toshiba satellite l-30 and everything is working fine, the only issue is that my wifi isn´t working, i run the comand "lspci" and I got this

00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 5a31 (rev 01)
      00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
      00:12.0 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc ATI 4379 Serial ATA Controller (rev 80)
      00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
      00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
      00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller (rev 80)
      00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller (rev 82)
      00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Contro ller ATI (rev 80)
      00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 437b (rev 01)
      00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge (rev 80)
      00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge (rev 80)
      01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200 M]
      09:01.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
      09:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139 C+ (rev 10)
      09:04.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

so i guess my wifi is the last one, i looked in the page you posted but i cant find it anywhere, does that mean i cannot use my wifi?

Comment

Re: i switched to kubuntu and need help with wifi drivers and ati graphics, help

I have a toshiba setelite pro a100 which also has an atheros wireless network card and have had no problems except I had to specify that linux use ath0 instead of eth0. I cant remember where I did this but once I did, it just works. Oh yeah I've found that the best bet for networking and soforth is to install either ubuntu or xubuntu first then install kubuntu-desktop as this way networking works a LOT better. Apparently feisty has even better wireless capability if you want to play with betas.

My Toshiba laptop is great with Linux and works sooo much better than with Windows, I would strongly recommend Linux for these laptops or vice versa to almost anyone because they require minimal configuration and everything just works perfectly, even the ATI graphics chip works really well without installing a single driver. The only thing I haven't tested is the dial up modem which I see little point in. These are virtually built for Linux; I just wish I could buy one without paying for Windows. Oh yeah Dell will provide any computer with Linux if you request it from customer services.

Comment

Working...
        X