This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux on a Windows Workgroup?? [RESOLVED x2]

I have 3 computers in my "peer to peer" Window's Workgroup connected via a wireless router.

Cygne1 Windows only desktop and Print Server.
    Cygne2 my laptop (dual boot Windows and Kubuntu with samba installed)
    Cygne3 wife's windows only laptop.

In Samba I can see the other two computers. If I click on them to access their drives I get prompted for a user name and password. None of these computers are user OS password protected except my linux OS. (before you ask, yes the home wireless network is WPA encrypted with a strong password but we don't really care who jumps on a computer and uses it.) Since none of these accounts have passwords, what do I enter? Is it possible to access the printer on Cygne1 (With only Windows installed) with my kubuntu booted laptop? How?

I get the feeling that Samba only works in a Windows domain not in a Windows workgroup. Am I right?

Please linky me to any details on Linux on a Windows "peer to peer" Workgroup, particularly the Linux OS accessing the Windows Computer for printing. (I know, it is usualy the linux OS set up as print server.)
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: Linux on a Windows Workgroup??

You should be able to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to meet your requirements.

ALWAYS BACKUP A FILE BEFORE YOU EDIT IT!!!!!!!!!!
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

eriefisher, as I understand it Ant2ne is using a Samba client on Linux, not a Samba server, so editing that file wouldn't help.

And2ne, it's certainly possible to use a Samba client in a Windoze workgroup - at home that is how I had a network set up. Can I just clarify what I think you're saying... In Konqueror at the 'address' smb:/ you can see the two other machines on your network, but trying to view their shares gives you a password prompt.

If so - if you try and proceed without entering a username/password what happens? How about if you use the username/password of a user that is set up on the remote Windows machine? Can you go "directly" to any of the shares on the Windows machines (eg go to smb:/xxx.yyy.zzz.nnn/SomeShareName, where xxx.yyy.zzz.nnn is the IP address of the machine you're trying to connect to)? If not I get the gut feeling that something on the Windows machines is stopping you... What version(s) of Windows are you running and can you access shares Windows-to-Windows?

With that sorted out, you can add a SMB-shared printer through the usual System Settings -> Printers menus.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne
        In Samba I can see the other two computers. If I click on them to access their drives I get prompted for a user name and password. None of these computers are user OS password protected except my linux OS.
        You still need to supply a windows username, even without password. Windows is not asking for it because you probably have the same name for the default users in all the computers.

To let another computer access your shares in windows without supplying an user name you need to enable the "guest" user account. If you go to the control panel, manage users, you should see this account. Enable it and linux will not ask you for and user and password.

I get the feeling that Samba only works in a Windows domain not in a Windows workgroup. Am I right?
        As noted by JamesM it's false. I have even linux servers act as the "Master Browser" machine for windows workgroups (well, really mixed windows/linux clients) up to seven or eight machines.

Please linky me to any details on Linux on a Windows "peer to peer" Workgroup, particularly the Linux OS accessing the Windows Computer for printing. (I know, it is usualy the linux OS set up as print server.)
        Just open the K Menu, go to System Settings, Select printers.

Now click on "Administrator mode". Give your password.

Click on "Add..", select "printer/class".

In the wizard click Next, Select "SMB shared printer (Windows").

Now you are asked for your account name. Option ananymous don't usually work in Windows 2000 or XP, so you'll need to give a username or enable guest account on the windows machine.

All the rest of the wizard is quite straight-forward IIRC.

Javier.

Comment

Enabling the guest worked in that I'm able to access all shared folders now. (On that one PC). I then ran the printer wizard and installed what I'm thinking is the proper driver for that model. But it still don't print. It says that the print job was successfully sent, but it never spits out the paper. (yes I checked that the printer is on and ready to print) The print sever PC is an XP home machine. So I don't see a security tab in the printer properties box. No securities tab = no way to see (or set) who has access to the printer. It maybe that the guest doesn't have access. Any Ideas?

Another possible clue: In smb://MYWORKGOUP/ it shows the other two machines, but doesn't show this (linux) machine. Should it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne
            It maybe that the guest doesn't have access. Any Ideas?
            Open a browser, in the URL type:

http://localhost:631

Click on Manage Printers. A paga with a list of printers should appear. There should be a line that is called "Printer Status:". There should be a nice error message there telling what is wrong.

Another possible clue: In smb://MYWORKGOUP/ it shows the other two machines, but doesn't show this (linux) machine. Should it?
            No. Kubuntu by default is in another Workgroup. The only way that I know to change it is editing the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. Maybe there is some nice GUI tool, but I don't know it.

Just open Konqueror, navigate to /etc/samba, right click on smb.conf, select edit as root. Change the workgroup there, restart samba.

To restart samba you can use the service control panel option, or much more easily:
            Type in a terminal
            Code:
            $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
            Javier.

Comment

Originally posted by javierrivera

http://localhost:631

Click on Manage Printers. A paga with a list of printers should appear. There should be a line that is called "Printer Status:". There should be a nice error message there telling what is wrong.

As I am having more or less the same setup, I tried this. I have my Lexmark Optra E+ there, no error messages - but it will not print.

The first part that worried me, was the URl listed. It did not look good, but the help parts of these pages make me dizzy (or worse).

I guess it should be on the type of

smb://WindowsWorkgroup/MyWindowsComputer/

But still no test page printed; error message:

Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds.

Hope I do not interfere unduly here; if so I can start a new thread.

Comment

The URL should be like:

smb://guest@[WINDOWSWORKGROUP/]COMPUTERNAME/PRINTERNAME

The workgroup should be optional. It seens to be important for windows to be refered as the host name not the ip.

That NIS error is usually related to authentifications errors.

To check them you can try:

Code:
                $ smbclient -L hostname
                And tell us what happen.

I remembered that in some cases I had to add to the hosts files (/etc/hosts/) the name and ip of the windows machine. But AFAIK this was only needed when both machines were in different TCP subnets.

Javier.

Comment

The URL should be like:

smb://guest@[WINDOWSWORKGROUP/]COMPUTERNAME/PRINTERNAME

The workgroup should be optional. It seens to be important for windows to be refered as the host name not the ip.
                  I get this:

"Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds..."

That NIS error is usually related to authentifications errors.

To check them you can try:

Code:
                  $ smbclient -L hostname
                  And tell us what happen.
                  This:

xxxxx-kubuntu:~$ smbclient -L hostname
                  Connection to hostname failed

I have checked; the samba network do work for file transfer.

However, it seems that the http://localhost:631 method is not replicating the URl I type in. I either get:

smb:gjest@workgroup/.... (where gjest is the guest account for Norwegian Win2000)

or

smb://workgroup/...

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA
                    This:

xxxxx-kubuntu:~$ smbclient -L hostname
                    Connection to hostname failed
                    Errr... Sorry...

I mean

Code:
                    $ smbclient -L nameofthewindowscomputer
                    Where nameofthewindowscomputer is the net name of your windows computer .

You can try the same command with the ip address of that computer.

Javier.

Comment

I mean

Code:
                      $ smbclient -L nameofthewindowscomputer
                      Where nameofthewindowscomputer is the net name of your windows computer .

Javier.
                      OK; this did work:

nils@nils-kubuntu:~$ smbclient -L nils1
                      Password:
                      Domain=[NILS1] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
                      --------- ---- -------
                      Video Disk
                      Div2 Disk
                      PSFONTS Disk
                      Brenner Disk
                      VIDEODISK Disk
                      CanonPIX Printer Canon PIXMA iP4000R
                      IPC$ IPC Ekstern IPC
                      D$ Disk Delt standardressurs
                      print$ Disk Skriverdrivere
                      CD Disk
                      CDMAPPE Disk
                      D Disk
                      B Disk
                      A Disk
                      Fonts Disk
                      Diverse Disk
                      CD2 Disk
                      E Disk
                      ADMIN$ Disk Ekstern administrasjon
                      C$ Disk Delt standardressurs
                      Lexmark Printer Lexmark Optra E+ (MS)
                      Domain=[NILS1] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
                      --------- -------

Workgroup Master
                      --------- -------

I had to give the administrator password for the Win2000 PC. smbclient

Comment

Have you tried just hitting enter at the password prompt?

This should make it connect as the guest user. That way we can see if there are problems with the guest user permissions.

Another solution could be entering the URI by hand. In the add printer wizard select another kind of printer and type the URI by hand:

Code:
                        smb://user:password@NILS1/nils1/Lexmark
                        Try to use real windows user and passwords. It it works, well, then it's some issue with the guest user. If it doesn't... no idea. You can check the samba logs looking for some clues (there are in /var/log/samba).

Javier.

Comment

Guess I solved it - somehow the printer needed a reset; a page with a few meaningless characters came out; I hit the test page once more - and went for a tea break, and after some time, the laser whining started,and after the tea break Printer Test Page present on top of the Lexmark.

As before, your help has been very good! Thank you!

Comment

Well... since my thread got hijacked > I'll refresh the troubleshooters with where I'm at. :P

With Guest account active, I can access the shared folders and files in Windows XP (desktop and print server) Machine with my Linux (laptop) machine. But I still can't print to the Windows Machine

When I boot the laptop in XP I can print just fine with the Linux Machine so I know it isn't the physical network.

I edited /etc/samba/smb.conf so that all three computers are displayed in "smb://cygnehome/". Including the linux laptop and the WindowsXP Print Server.

Just open the K Menu, go to System Settings, Select printers.
                            Now click on "Administrator mode". Give your password.
                            Click on "Add..", select "printer/class".
                            In the wizard click Next, Select "SMB shared printer (Windows").
                            Running this dialog does not find a printer or spit out a test page. I notice that in the Add Printer Wizard on the page for printer settings, (ie. where it asks for workgroup name, server name, and printer name) there is a handy "Scan" button near the bottom. Clicking this scan button it will then list my workgroup name, but exploring the workgroup (ie. by clicking the + sign next to the workgroup) doesn't display any computers or printers connected to this workgroup. Remember that viewing "smb://cygnehome/" in Konqueror, I have all three computers there (including the linux and window print server).

This... http://localhost:631... takes me to an interesting webpage. Is this page imbeded in the Linux OS? I've never explored my localhost before. Anyway, this Manage Printers shows nothing in it. Hitting the search button finds nothing. Entering smb://guest@cygnehome/cygne1/Lexmark4 finds nothing.

And then....
                            ant2ne@ant2ne-laptop:~$ smbclient -L Cygne1
                            Password:
                            Domain=[CYGNE1] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
                            --------- ---- -------
                            AutoAuto Printer Auto Auto Fax Lexmark 4200 Series on CYGNE-1 on MKC
                            My Documents Disk
                            IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
                            print$ Disk Printer Drivers
                            SharedDocs Disk
                            Lexmark4 Printer Lexmark 4200 Series
                            Test Disk
                            FaxLexma Printer Fax Lexmark 4200 Series
                            megamek Disk
                            Domain=[CYGNE1] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
                            --------- -------

Workgroup Master
                            ---------
                            notice it does have the printer there.

So what next?

Comment

Since I'm the bad guy here - a short version on how I did solve my problem:

In http://localhost:631

In the right, Printers, tab, I added the printer, using the type of URl you quote.

When I had done this, I noticed that the "guest" part of the URl shown for the printer wasn't there.

Then I tried the test page, and at long last I did reset the printer, waited a looooong time, and there it was.

Comment

Working...
                              X