This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have met the enemy, and they is me! Damn

To all who experienced the 'unscheduled' downtime of our beloved forum, I prostrate myself and humbly beg forgiveness, for it was I who 'did the fowl deed' that brought KFN to it's knees.

In supporting one of our members who is currently living in a less than friendly locale with regards 'unsavory' types who like to launch bad bots and otherwise like to infiltrate forums and post garbage, I created a bypass rule to allow him access again. But, as was once said, "My kingdom for a horse", I forgot one little word in the bypass rule: if

Yup, for the lack of if, KFN was brought to it's knees.

Geez, I really hate it when I screw up! :mad: :cry:
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 22, 2013, 10:35 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    Geez, I really hate it when I screw up! :mad: :cry:
    So do those of us who have to clean up your foul messes

Comment

True, but it just shows how much talent we have here in our Administrators, and their dedication too. Who'd a thunk that such a little omission -- a missing "if" -- would have such powerful consequences!!
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For those who may be interested...

A visit to the web site would return a blank page in the browser. wget would return a "500 Internal Server Error." Typically, these two clues indicate some kind of problem with an Apache .htaccess file or a PHP configuration file. The Apache error log is the place to go to learn more. In our log, several entries -- all dated today -- complained about a syntax error on a line in the ZB Block exceptions file. That particular line was missing the beginning if statement, which caused PHP's parser to fail. Ergo, symptom matched to a cause. Fixing that line allowed Apache to immediately begin serving content again.

Comment

Working...
        X