No announcement yet.

Do you have Intel's IME vulnerability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Do you have Intel's IME vulnerability?

It's been since 2017 when the "Intel Internal Management Engine" blew up on the Internet, as described in this article, which states:
    These ME security holes impact millions of computers. This is a powerful tool that allows admins to remotely run computers, even when the device is not booted. Let me repeat that: If your PC has power, even if it's not running, it can be attacked. If an attacker successfully exploits these holes, the attacker can run malware that's totally invisible to the operating system.

Most, but not all, of ME's vulnerabilities require physical access for someone to exploit.
    Since I acquired this laptop long after that bru-haha, I downloaded the tool from here and used it to see if my HP 17-cn1xxx was vulnerable.

$ sudo python3 intel_csme_version_detection_tool
    [sudo] password for jerry:
    Intel(R) CSME Version Detection Tool
    Copyright(C) 2017-2023, Intel Corporation, All rights reserved.

Application Version: 9.0.1.0
    Scan date: 2023-09-16 22:56:53 GMT

*** Host Computer Information ***
    Name: GreyGeek
    Manufacturer: HP
    Model: HP Laptop 17-cn1xxx
    Processor Name: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1155G7 @ 2.50GHz
    OS Version: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) (6.4.0-0.deb12.2-amd64)

*** Intel(R) ME Information ***
    Engine: Intel(R) Converged Security and Management Engine
    Version: 15.0.30.1776

*** Risk Assessment ***
    Based on the analysis performed by this tool: This system is vulnerable.
    Explanation:
    The detected version of the Intel(R) Converged Security and Management Engine firmware has a vulnerability listed in one or more of the public Security Advisories.
    Contact your system manufacturer for support and remediation of this system.

For more information refer to the Intel(R) CSME Version Detection Tool User Guide or the related Intel Security Advisory list at:
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...hnologies.htm;

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X