This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux elites dismiss midwest USA to their loss

I attempted in vain to participate in Mandriva "install parties".

I held two which, combined, had 60 some odd installs....

I volunteered regularly and was regularly IGNORED ....

I think that was because the "Linux elites" of Europe really do think that anybody in the U.S. and especially the midwest U.S. is an incredible boor, and a poseur.

I must admit that I never really "got into" the online resources that our poor little podunk poseur college in the middle of flyover country has because the particular classes which I teach do not have any explicite use for them.

But, the Linux IT person at the college and I were visiting and I was rather surprised to learn that there are a plethora of online resources for the students in the programming classes to peruse.....much to my chagrin because of the number of my students who do go into Linux but.... again....since I "do biology" I just had not thought about it much...

here is just one of the pubs that has been available to the students and USED by the instructors going back as far as 2004 in the Wiley section.

Linux and Windows 2000 integration toolkit : a complete resource / Ross Brunson.

Now, the big point here is that...

a) the above is some kind of "foundational" type thing and if one can "do it" then one can probably do a lot of other things...
    b) .. we produce a LOT of people that go into computer PROGRAMMING....as opposed to "web page" or "html" or "C++", etc....all those "buzz" words to which kids flock.

And, apparently, they get jobs, and quite easily at that, a few of them have kept in touch.....

But..... all of these people seem to be "dismissed" by the Linux "elites" as being welll.....you know...."those people".

and....possibly that dismissal does not augur to the benefit of Linux as a whole.

just a thought, of little worth.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X