X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woodsmoke
    replied
    Lol
    Claydoh I'm glad that you like my technique, however, I forgot to mention that this last semester, because of the slowdown of the economy, I also reduced my going rate for each grade from $40 USD to $30 USD!

SR is a human? WOAH!!

What the Funk.

I installed KDE connect and the video came through the same way. This on a Samsung Galaxy III, running the latest Android. The video, shot with the phone being held in a vertical, upright, portrait position, transfers into Kubuntu so that the "video" is horizontal, laying on it's side, position.

woodsmoke

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    News flash! Steve admits he's a member of the human race!
    Just do me a favor and don't tell anyone, mmmmmkay? Let's keep it our little secret

Leave a comment:

• claydoh
    replied
    Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    Claydoh....

a) they can have laptops or tablets out but I walk behind them randomly and if they are playing a game, I visit with them in a "non-judgemental" place, and then I stomp the device into the carpeting!
    b) I frequently "fistbump" them for providing an insightful answer during dialectic.
    c) I allow them to take copious notes, make 3 x 5 cards, or a scrapbook, etc.
    d) I slap them up sidda da head if they are asleep and snoring in a manner which distracts other students. (And quite frequently I have to apply lotion to the bruised back of my hand").
    e) If a guy has the cajones to wear a pink shirt to class, I sometimes comment, in the hall, that a pink shirt is a "chick magnet" and often get the reply, "I learned that by watching you with Miss "X". ! "
    f) Since I motivat the students, in ways with which I, myself, am not quite cognizant, they usually make A's or B's, but then, these are intro classes, and they usually later declare some kind of technical/science/medical major... it is, after all, the "Life Sciences Technology" campus.
    g) I allow them to bring any kind of politically correct, or carb laden food stuff to class if they have brought enough for the whole class, and usually sneak a piece myself!

Other than that...........not much.........

OH....sorry..........we also do science! lol

woodsmoke
    Cool
    This part had me worried :
    The problem of course, is that all those kids at mega music events that are tokin' 'da dope, or drunk out of their minds on tequila ....um....not being able to think far enough ahead to hold the phone correctly.

Leave a comment:

• woodsmoke
    replied
    Claydoh....

a) they can have laptops or tablets out but I walk behind them randomly and if they are playing a game, I visit with them in a "non-judgemental" place, and then I stomp the device into the carpeting!
    b) I frequently "fistbump" them for providing an insightful answer during dialectic.
    c) I allow them to take copious notes, make 3 x 5 cards, or a scrapbook, etc.
    d) I slap them up sidda da head if they are asleep and snoring in a manner which distracts other students. (And quite frequently I have to apply lotion to the bruised back of my hand").
    e) If a guy has the cajones to wear a pink shirt to class, I sometimes comment, in the hall, that a pink shirt is a "chick magnet" and often get the reply, "I learned that by watching you with Miss "X". ! "
    f) Since I motivat the students, in ways with which I, myself, am not quite cognizant, they usually make A's or B's, but then, these are intro classes, and they usually later declare some kind of technical/science/medical major... it is, after all, the "Life Sciences Technology" campus.
    g) I allow them to bring any kind of politically correct, or carb laden food stuff to class if they have brought enough for the whole class, and usually sneak a piece myself!

Other than that...........not much.........

OH....sorry..........we also do science! lol

woodsmoke

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    News flash! Steve admits he's a member of the human race!
    (Considering Steve's skill in Linux in such a short time I was beginning to believe, like the former Canadian defense minister, that aliens had indeed come and were among us! )

Leave a comment:

• claydoh
    replied
    Hmm, woodsmoke-er, just what do you let your students do during lectures, eh??

if it helps any, you can just export the video from a heavy (1920x1080 -1080p HD) mp4 to a lower res one, some of these editors and converters have presets for this. Anything 720p or lower should do fine on most any machine using mp4 format. DVD quality should do well also.

Leave a comment:

• woodsmoke
    replied
    Whatthefunk
    you are completely correct, but, please consider what you just posted.

The phone was vertical( portrait mode) by the fellow recording the video. We, neither one of us, considered that there might be a problem,

The video, when it is transferred to the computer by dolphin arrives, or is interpreted, or is placed, I don't know what, horizotally in presentation, and the "video of woodsmoke jumping into the SCUBA pool" is laying sidewise.

The problem is a) converting the mp4 to simple mpeg and also rotating it. The only way that it was exported and kept the correct x - y dimensions was into a .wmv. When any and all attempts to export to mpeg were made by any and all of the apps woodsmoke's "body" was FAT.... because the only options are some kind of "amorphous" and "widescreen" and whatever.

So.... yes you are correct, but the question was why is it that the export to .wmv maintains the correct x-y ratio and also exports to .wmv.

The export and orientation are not done simultaneously for mpeg.

MP4 does, indeed export properly but......not all students will have the horsepower of a computer to necessarily be able to watch an mp4 without a lot of lag.

I have a relatively good machine and the video lags in mp4.

It does not lag in mpeg, or .wmv.

++++++

And yes snowhog, that is precisely why I did not post the "name" of the software, because I do not think this any one dev, or set of dev's "fault". It is a situation which has appeared in just the last few short years.

Previously, the apps were only having to deal with stuff from digital cameras, or the oddment of a video cam, displaying a portrait feed as landscape.

+++++++

I even installed Pitivi, which now is configured to export an mpeg and all it does is hang at "calculating" or some such for both an mpeg and also for .avi.

+++++++

I think that we can now consider the situation to be solved in a rather odd way:

The only REAL FIX.....

NEVER, never, never, shoot a video by physically holding the cell phone in one's hand in the "portrait" mode, that is vertically.

ONLY, shoot a video by physically holding the cell phone in one's hand in the "landscape" mode, that is horizontally.

The problem of course, is that all those kids at mega music events that are tokin' 'da dope, or drunk out of their minds on tequila ....um....not being able to think far enough ahead to hold the phone correctly. .

So.............no worries!

woodfortunatelyneverdiddadopeandnevershotavideowhe nplasteredsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 06, 2014, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• claydoh
    replied
    Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Dolphin displays your video sideways because your video is sideways. In two minutes time, I shot a brief video on my phone and saved it as an mp4 file (which is supported out of the box by Windows, Apple, and Android). I sent it to my Kubuntu machine through KDE Connect and imported it in Openshot. I rotated it 90 degrees and exported it as an mp4 file. I checked it on every device I own and it plays fine on everything. I have no idea what youre complaining about.
    Agreed on the video being sideways. I do wonder if all the YouTube vids shot with a vertically held phone are rotated by the user before uploading, or does Google detect this and rotate it automagically?

Anyway, it is true that anything related to video editing and manipulation is a huge mess. Woody is right that, depending on the source material, each Linux tool has vastly different strengths and crappiness. However, unless one buys the super high end pro stuff, I'll bet it is the same thing in the Windows world.

Mp4 files seem to be a better source for editing than other common formats, like avi

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Leave a comment:

• whatthefunk
    replied
    Dolphin displays your video sideways because your video is sideways. In two minutes time, I shot a brief video on my phone and saved it as an mp4 file (which is supported out of the box by Windows, Apple, and Android). I sent it to my Kubuntu machine through KDE Connect and imported it in Openshot. I rotated it 90 degrees and exported it as an mp4 file. I checked it on every device I own and it plays fine on everything. I have no idea what youre complaining about.

Leave a comment:

• woodsmoke
    replied
    Ahhhhh SR thou are a good fellow, and having been in the same cranky state meseff, I can relate! It is all good sirrah!

And now back to the thread:

a) Claydoh: yes that is precisely the result
    b) Moonrise: yes as long as there is proprietary stuff...

And to the others good comments all... and some good advice, but....

BUT...............

As Dogberry said and which I will loosly restate:

O (those here). write me down an ass!

the quote

Dogb. Dost thou not suspect my place? Dost thou not suspect my years? O that he were here to write me down an ass! but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass. No, thou villain, thou art full of piety, as shall be proved upon thee by good witness. I am a wise fellow; and, which is more, an officer; and, which is more, a householder; and, which is more, as pretty a piece of flesh as any in Messina; and one that knows the law, go to; and a rich fellow enough, go to; and a fellow that hath had losses; and one that hath two gowns, and everything handsome about him. Bring him away. O that I had been writ down an ass!
    The problem is not that many many people have not wrestled with how to rotate a a video file....

"THE ROOT PROBLEM" is that Dolphin "assumes" that the video file is supposed to be in landscape mode, no matter what.

Now it may be that there is no way for Dolphin to be able to determine a'priori the correct orientation of the "container". Dolphin does not "see" the video file.

There has to be code attached to the container in some way because........

It is beyond my ken that a commercial program would not automagically orient the video file correctly.

So the situation may be this;

a) the "orientation" part of the xml/whatever script is proprietary and therefore beyond the bounds of Linux.
    b) nobody thought about it in the development of Dolphin

So....if, indeed, there is a bit of code attached to the video file then, there might really be a very simple fix within Dolphin itself! ? just wonderin'

lol....indeed.....write me down an ass!

woodsmoke

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    @woody: I apologize for my earlier outburst. I made the mistake of replying when I was in a cranky mood for an altogether unrelated reason and lost some self control.

Leave a comment:

• Simon
    replied
    OT:My issues with Microsoft didn't start until they scrapped XP and blatantly lied to people about Vista. XP was and still is the best they ever made. I cannot honestly comment on 7 or 8, except from what I have been told by others... so I won't.

But it would seem that with the proper codec installed you can use a crossover media player such as VLC?

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    I stated why .wmv in the post, because the students will be using windblows computers.
    I really wish you would stop the "windblows" stuff. I am no fan myself, but the "funny" little names like M$ and whatever are rather childish.

Beginning with Windows 7, the built-in Media Player can handle most MP4 videos, which is probably about as close we'll get to a cross-platform standard.

Leave a comment:

• MoonRise
    replied
    I can attest to what Woodsmoke is saying to the fact that it seems video editing software, not just isolated to Linux, have their own ideas of video editing. I had to use between Windows and Linux 4 different Video editing programs to do similar. It think some of it comes down to the Phone manufacturers themselves. The issue I had was one smartphone seemed OK with the video even though rotating back and forth. Both Linux and Windows software handled it fairly well. Get to another smartphone's video and all !@#$ breaks loose and I had to really hunt and manipulate that video until it was "OK". Thing is both smartphones were Android so it was obviously something to do with the fact one was Samsung and the other was HTC. Clearly both using something different though Android. I guess to make it "proprietary". With that said I don't know how well video editing software vendors can keep up with smartphone manufacturers desire to "add" their own "improvements" to video formats to make them "unique" to themselves. At least how I see it anyway. The three I used mostly were KDEnLive, Avidemux and Roxio. The fourth was some off the wall application I found to do something or other. Can't remember it. Was on Windows and don't really have that running at the moment or no real desire to. Just my 2 cents if even worth that!
    Last edited by MoonRise; Jan 05, 2014, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Simon
    replied
    I am no video expert but isn't avi the best universal format?
    Woodsmoke said,
    "So, I wanted to convert the mpeg4 to just a plain mpeg and also to .wmv, because, at least one, of the two files "should" be viewable on just about any OS."
    AVI is viewable by any OS. If I ran into video compatibilty issues in the past I used FFMPEG to convert and more recently I have used AVCONV. Either I am really lucky with the few video conversions or AVCONV is pretty good at converting video. From terminal I type;

Code:
    avconv -i testvideo.mp4 testvideo.avi
    That normally works and seldom ever do I need bitrate switches or audio. I am pretty sure I have all my codecs installed. However like I said, no video expert. I personally like to convert to flv format seems to be more compact.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X