X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldgeek
    replied
    I think I did everything right, but still cannot get it to work. First, I created the file for the tar.gz original, then extracted it into that same folder. I called the folder 'btrfs_subvol_mgr'. Then I created the other ServiceMenus folder where you said to put it, and cut/pasted the contents of the two files there. I checked with Dolphin and they were both there. So now what? I right clicked on the desktop file after mounting sda1 to /mnt, pressed create a snapshot, and got an error message about it not being a subvolume. I seem to have missed a step somewhere. And how do I access the program? From the .local etc folder?

Leave a comment:

• oldgeek
    replied
    Thanks, I will try it later this week, as I'm on my way to the Andes for a few days.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
    I downloaded the subvolume tools, extracted them into the same folder (Downloads) and got three folders. I'm not sure what to do now. Do I have to set something up? I clicked on the the snapshot option, but got an error message, so I must be doing something wrong.
    from the download page ,,,,,,,,

Code:
    To install, place the "subvol_manager.desktop" file and the "subvol_manager-scripts" folder and it's contents into:

~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus 

Required script dependencies include:

sudo
       kdialog
       notify-send
    NOTE: the "notify-send" is from the package "ruby-notify"

put the BTRFS_Subvolume_Manager_ServiceMenu_v1.0.tar.gz in a folder by it's self and extract it their , you should have 2 files and a folder ,,,,,

Code:
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny 1285 Sep  7  2018 subvol_manager.desktop
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny 1704 Sep  7  2018 subvol_manager-READ_ME
    drwxrwxr-x 1 vinny vinny  390 Jul 13 20:13 subvol_manager-scripts
    the ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus dose not exist by default you will/probably half to create it .

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• oldgeek
    replied
    I downloaded the subvolume tools, extracted them into the same folder (Downloads) and got three folders. I'm not sure what to do now. Do I have to set something up? I clicked on the the snapshot option, but got an error message, so I must be doing something wrong.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

Vinny, it looks like you maybe running the earlier version. Navigate to ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/ and see if your files are "Version 1.0" instead of less than version 1. The changes were a couple small typos but I also added the ability to use a custom name on-the-fly- when creating subvolume snapshots.
    yes , you are correct I have ver-0.3 of the files , but I am sure it had the "rename on the fly" ability.

well no mater , I just grabbed the 1.0 version of the files and will insert them some time today.

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• oshunluvr
    replied
    Yes, I am a pro. All I have to do is write 5000 more of those and I'll start making some REAL money, LOL

Vinny, it looks like you maybe running the earlier version. Navigate to ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/ and see if your files are "Version 1.0" instead of less than version 1. The changes were a couple small typos but I also added the ability to use a custom name on-the-fly- when creating subvolume snapshots.

Leave a comment:

• Qqmike
    replied
    Wildly blatant self-promotion: I wrote ...
    Last time I checked, I didn't see any signs posted that said you (or any of us) couldn't be an author!

Leave a comment:

• Snowhog
    replied
    I got an whole $1.45 last month!
    Damn!! High-roll'n, gett'n paid, Linux software developer you are!

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Wildly blatant self-promotion: I wrote a set of BTRFS Subvolume tools as a Dolphin Service Menu and it's available in the KDE store;

https://store.kde.org/p/1214134/

It requires manual installation of sorts, but works pretty well. I even get paid when enough people download it. I got an whole $1.45 last month!
    +1 on that dolphin service menu , it works as stated (fore me) and I use it a lot as a quick way to do a snapshot and delete old ones .

thanks again @oshunluvr

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• oshunluvr
    replied
    Wildly blatant self-promotion: I wrote a set of BTRFS Subvolume tools as a Dolphin Service Menu and it's available in the KDE store;

https://store.kde.org/p/1214134/

It requires manual installation of sorts, but works pretty well. I even get paid when enough people download it. I got an whole $1.45 last month!

Leave a comment:

• Snowhog
    replied
    Create aliases.

Leave a comment:

• claydoh
    replied
    Other than snapper-gui (if you are on Cosmic or Disco), no.

A few tips, for command line usage and terrible typists such as myshelf:
    I don't remember some commands I use constantly, as I cheat and use my up/down arrow keys to cycle through all my previous command history. As I don't use the cli all that regularly, it is not too hard for me to go back a week or more and find the one I need.
    Making a cheat-sheet, copying the commands I use the most in a text file was also a tool I used to use.

Leave a comment:

• oldgeek
    started a topic [SOLVED] Btrfs gui

Btrfs gui

Is there a good GUI for the main BTRFS options (snapshots, sending, receiving, deleting, etc.?) I often make typing errors the older I get and would like something more user-friendly than a terminal, as most of my errors using BTRFS commands have come from hitting the wrong key.
Working...
X