How to get 5.1 audio compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get 5.1 audio compression?

PulseEffeects/EasyEffects only works on two-channel stereo audio. The developer says so: https://github.com/wwmm/easyeffects/...ent-1147748628

I've been battling this since 2018, and I can't seem to find my answer.

Our HTPC has discrete 3.5mm output jacks - Left-Right, Center-Sub, Left Surround-Right Surround.
    The cables adapt to RCA jacks, and output to a 5.1 amp/receiver.
    When EasyEffects is enabled, for example, audio that should pan only to surround right, will output via front right and surround right simultaneously. Defeats the purpose of having surround sound speakers.

I really need compression though.

These days most audio-for-film engineers can't mix sound to save their lives. I can't imagine how half these people are still employed.
    Background music is often louder than dialog, action scenes and sound effects are often unreasonably louder than the rest of the show.

I hate to say, "There was a solution in Windows," but if I used my old SoundBlaster cards back in the day when I was a Windows user, the driver had an EQ/Compressor GUI built in. I was able to boost upper-mids for dialog, and squish/limit the overall volume, and everything stayed in surround sound. Worked like a charm.

Since going Linux full time, I've had to hold our receiver's remote control in my hand the entire time my wife & I watch TV. I'm constantly bumping the volume up and down because we either can't hear what someone's saying, or the volume jumps to deafening levels without warning, only to drop back down to inaudible again.

I actually bought an outboard analog EQ, so that problem is solved, but I still need the compression. I could go out and buy three separate analog stereo compressors, but that just seems extreme and expensive. I'm not willing to go back to Windows for TV/movie watching. I'm hoping someone knows of software audio compression that won't collapse my 5.1 audio back down to stereo.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​
Working...
X