This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail on Neon

I've been using Thunderbird email and decided this afternoon to try KMail. I installed it and began with the account setup. Letting the accountwizard "detect" my pop-server.neb.rr.com it came back with an IMAP configuration. Never could get a connection regardless of which ports name, or password configuration I used. I edited the receive setting to convert it into a pop3 connection, which did connect and I was able to send and receive test mails.

The "default system folders" however, remained named as IMAP. In addition, I was unable to add subfolders to the IMAP primary folder, forcing me to import my emails into the local subfolders. Unfortunately, there is no way to delete the IMAP receive folder. No "remove" button. When I created a POP3 receive folder the "remove" button appeared and was active. I selected the IMAP and removed it. That, it turns out, deleted the "default folders". I can send emails and I can click the Check Mail button, but they disappear into limbo because the only folder in the system is the Local folder.

No problem, I though. I'll just purge KMail, clear out the old debris, and reinstall. No Joy. The old Local Folders reappeared, but NO "default system folders", the one which contains the name of the ISP name, or what ever you call it. Purging, it seems, did not purge the kmail configuration files, hidden and otherwise, sprinkled liberally through out my home account. Apparently they are in the MySQL, Akonadi, Mariadb configs and/or database.

So, get it right the first time, or you are hosed if you delete your first account settings (not the Identity settings).

Unlike previous times I installed and used KMail, this time KAddressbook was not automatically installed And, when you install it you get things you don't necessarily want, like kdepim, kontact, etc.

I used "apt-cache rdepends kmail" to determine what I had to purge. Be careful, though, you can inadvertantly get kpgp, or other kde apps in the removal dependencies, so watch for that, too. Back to Thunderbird.

It makes one want to wish that Snap would get here sooner.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X