X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posterazor the app and a use for parents or teachers

Well,
    My thread on this app has been locked away in the dungeon and I can't find Matilda to get a key so I thought I'd make a new one.

Fundamentally, it converts an image into a big, multisheet poster.

I've used it for a variety of things but a previous use which I have resurrected might be of interest to a teacher or a PARENT wanting to improve memorization of a defined set of terms which are all on a given image such as for instance: the water cycle.

The technique is this:

a) print off the original image
    b) print off the poster TWICE and tape the pieces together to make TWO SEPERATE posters. It is of little difference whether it is colour or b and w to this observer.
    c) On one poster white out each terms LEAVING THE FIRST LETTER VISIBLE.
    d) On the other poster white out ALL of each word.
    Hang the posters on the wall

Provide the child or student the master original image with the terms and a package of "Post-it" Notes(tm).

Have the student write the terms that are on the original image on the Post-it Notes (tm) seperately.

The student is then to work through several stages.

a) using the master sheet the student places the appropriate piece of note with a term on the space for that term which has the first letter present.
    this should HOPEFULLY be done with one or more "partners"

the student should VOCALIZE the term when REMOVING the notes.

The student or child should go through several iterations and usually there is a lot of laughing and whatever.

b) the student is to do this until it can be done without use of the original master sheet.

In terms of a school the students naturally work "back and forth" so that both memorize the terms and often there will be groups of three of four.

c) The individual student child should demonstrate this to the parent or the teacher by placeing the notes on the poster, and vocalizing each term when it is placed
    the parent or teacher informally approves the correct terms.

d) the student then RE-practices the procedure using the poster that has each term completely whited out.
    Again, hopefully, this will be done with a partner or several partners.
    e) when the student or child is confident in her or his knowledge then the person should so demonstrate to the parent or teacher.

f) the student or child then practices by merely POINTING to the completely whited out term and verbalizing the term while a partner responds as to whether it is correct or not.

f) When the student or child completely confident then the student can request for formal test in which he or she should merely POINT to the whited out spaces and VERBALLY name the item while the teacher or parent watches and circles the ones on the master sheet which have been correctly named. The student should have written their name on the sheet and it is then prima facie evidence of having "passed the test".

This activity provides
    a) repetitive practice which is not copying terms or clicking a mouse in a program
    b) the proverbial "immediate feedback" immediately...
    c) it provides a vocal feed back loop
    d) and it is "kinestetic" which used to be an educationist buzzword before the advent of "technology" removing all responsibility from the teacher.

I have completely replaced the BORING, BORING, BORING lectures and Powerpoints(tm) about the biogeochemical cycles which are basically standing there pointing at terms on a picture for introductory classes.

this is not intended to REPLACE an "advanced" class which covers the chemistry etc. involved, but it STILL is a "fun introduction" which I usually did during a lab setting.

and it woiks!! ( as Curly so well stated )

woodlikesPosterazor
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 23, 2018, 12:08 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Woodsmoke, I like the teaching method in this. thanks.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Hi TWP

Thank you for the comment.

Today I did the first use of it the college doing a couple of the biogeochemical cycles and ... something happened which really warmed the cockles of my heart!

It USED to be the the big thing in education ( at least at elementary and hight school level" was "serendipity". There was, and still is a LOT of data that shows the people learn best when serendipitious things are allowed to happen for which they can interact.

Not today... " we have to keep them ON TASK!" the students are moved through as "cohorts" so that their money is harvested in a predictable fashion.

A group was taping together their first poster and a young lady asked me..."where does the cycle start"... BRAVO YOUNG LADY!!

She asked a highly pregnant question.

I stopped the class and had her raise her hand, they are beyond being embarrassed in my class and i indicated that she had asked this wonderful question.

so...we had a short discussion...

and I garrooonnteee as Justin Wilson used to intone... everybody will know what the answer is... lol...

Justin Wilson's bio at Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Wilson_(chef)

woodlovesPosteRazorsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well, I just wanted to Bump this because the app just really is a workhorse.

I have found that it works very well in combination with GIMP to produce the original image and Okular to quickly print the poster.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X