No announcement yet.

LibreOffice Impress has white line on bottom edge and right edge when projected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice Impress has white line on bottom edge and right edge when projected

On my system, an Impress slide with a black background shows a white line along the bottom edge and another along the right edge of the projection screen. This is produced using LibreOffice Impress Versions 7.3.5.2 and 7.3.4.2.and is illustrated in the graphic below. The line is about 1 pixel wide and is very noticeable when projected.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LibreOffice_Impress_Lines.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.4 KB ID:	664351

I can produce this problem by starting LibreOffice Impress with a blank screen. I then select Slide Properties > Background > Colour and choose Grey A200 for the new colour. After completing the colour selection I now have a black screen. Next by selecting F5, I then see a black screen with a white line along the bottom edge and another on the right edge.

Please let me know if you also observe this "feature" on your system as I am not sure if this is a LibreOffice Impress problem or files on my computer.

I thank You in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NoWorries; Jul 24, 2022, 01:39 AM.

Have you checked slide properties to adjust the paper size/slide size to match your resolution? You may need to set it to 16:9 or 16:10, depending on your projector's resolution. You may also need to toggle "fit object to paper format" to see if that has any effect.
    https://www.libreofficehelp.com/how-...ffice-impress/

Comment

My settings are Screen 16:9, which has Width 28cm and Height 15.75cm with all margins 0.00cm. My monitor and also the projector that I used are 16:9 and there was a comment from a viewer that the lines were visible. Also on a previous presentation with an earlier version of Impress did not have this artefact.

I will be interested to know if you observe what I get with these settings and LO Impress versions.

Comment

I wanted to make sure we eliminated page setup from the equation. Hopefully someone will be able to try that background for you, I am not able to do so currently.

Comment

Dear rab0171610,

Thanks for letting me know the problems you were having. I guess I assumed some familiarity with LO Impress as I have been using it for many years.

To start with, when I launch LO Impress, I have the View option next to the Edit along the top of the LO Screen. For View, I have Normal, Status Bar, Slide Pane, Comments and Sidebar selected. I sometime find the Sidebar is hidden and I have to move my cursor over the arrow half way down the right edge of the screen. The Sidebar provides the option for selecting numerous features, but for now I mainly use the Properties which gives Slide and Layouts. In the Layouts option you can choose the blank slide.

I then move my cursor onto the blank image between the Slides and Properties panels. Right mouse click and select Slide Properties. I then choose Background and this gives colour options. I then select the black colour and this changes the New colour to Back. I then select OK and the LO Impress screen changes to Black. I then start a presentation with F5 and on my system I have a black screen with white line along the bottom and the right edge.

I hope this provides sufficient information for you to get a black screen and see how it looks with F5 on your system.

Comment

I have more experience with Power Point than Impress. Unfortunately, I do not currently have LibreOffice installed. Hopefully another user who does will read your post, take a few moments to recreate your slideshow with the black background and give you some feedback. It is useful to know that the slide size/resolution is set correctly and likely not the cause of the problem.

I am sorry that I personally cannot be of more help at this time. Good luck!

Comment

From what you say, it sounds like you are more on Windows than Kubuntu if you only know how to use MS products such as Power Point. I use LO for everything as it works well with all MS attachments that I get. I can also send LO documents formatted to MS documents to my friends who are on Windows..

I certainly do hope that someone else on this forum gives LO Impress a try.

Comment

I did not say "I only know how to use Microsoft products". I used PowerPoint in college and Open Office at home. This was in the days before LibreOffice. I do not have Windows but like many people, I am forced to use it in the corporate world. I am quite familiar with slide presentation software. I agree they are very compatible with Windows files. And, If you are proficient in one office suite, you will likely be proficient in the other. I currently do not have a need for Office software, LibreOffice or otherwise. I do not make slides, documents, or spreadsheets, nor do I want to. As I said, hopefully someone that wants to take the time to recreate your slide with the black background will help you. I will not be that person.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                  From what you say, it sounds like you are more on Windows than Kubuntu if you only know how to use MS products such as Power Point. I use LO for everything as it works well with all MS attachments that I get. I can also send LO documents formatted to MS documents to my friends who are on Windows..

I certainly do hope that someone else on this forum gives LO Impress a try.
                  I'm not at all familiar with LO Impress, but I followed your guide and I too get the white line (but only) in the bottom.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_LOImpress_20220726_100204.png
Views:	971
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	664383
                  ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                  Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                  Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                  Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                  - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                  >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Hi Jonas,

I am so glad that you were able to test LO Impress. Your graphic shows the control screen of LO Impress, I assume that the projection screen had the white line on the bottom but not on the right edge.

In desperation, I removed every occurrence of LO in my home directory and did a fresh install. I did it on Kubuntu 22.10 and once again I had the white line on both the bottom edge and the right edge. I look forward to other forum members trying this out like you and hopefully find some consistency in this "bug".

Comment

On my 22.04, LibreOffice Impress 7.3.5.2, using your steps, I also see the white line on the right side and bottom. However, if I select Format > On-screen Show (16:9) and press F5, no white lines; the slide takes the entire screen.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                        Hi Jonas,

I am so glad that you were able to test LO Impress. Your graphic shows the control screen of LO Impress, I assume that the projection screen had the white line on the bottom but not on the right edge.
                        The picture show the control screen with the white line at the bottom(although faint). I tried it again it showed the line on bottom and side as yours. Fresh install of Kubuntu 22.04 and LO 7.3.4.2.

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        On my 22.04, LibreOffice Impress 7.3.5.2, using your steps, I also see the white line on the right side and bottom. However, if I select Format > On-screen Show (16:9) and press F5, no white lines; the slide takes the entire screen.
                        This too is true for me, tried this and the line(s) vanish.
                        Last edited by Jonas; Jul 26, 2022, 12:40 PM.
                        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          Thanks very much, it certainly works for me as well on my LTS. However it doesn't work on my Kinetic X11 or Wayland desktop options. I hope it is not too long before Kinetic 22.10 gets fixed with this change.

Comment

The problem still persists in Open Office 7.6.2.1 on Windows 10. I found the following workaround:

WORKAROUND:
                            • Use any graphics program to create an image that is entirely black (or whatever background color you want to use). Best create the image with the aspect ratio of your slides, though it is not critical.
                            • Go to View > Master Slide to open the master slide of your presentation. (If you only have the problem on a single slide, you can also do the following steps on the individual slide instead).
                            • Insert > Image ... and chose the all-black image to insert.
                            • Use the handles on the image frame to size the all-black image such that it overlaps the slide border on all sides.
                            • If needed, use right click > Arrange > Send to Back on the all-black image to send it to the background.
                            • Leave the master slide view, e.g. by clicking View > Normal.
                            Now this image that is larger than the slide should provide a seamless background without any white lines.

Comment

Actually the work around was reported by me on:

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/....cgi?id=150102
                              NoWorries 2023-05-07 05:13:28 UTC Comment 20

You have got to be kidding if you think this problem is fixed. It is certainly very obvious on LO Impress 7.5.2.2 on Kubuntu 23.04.

Yesterday I found a way to obscure the white line on the right and bottom edge of all of my projection slides, ie 61 of them!!!! For my slides, I use Widescreen with dimensions 33.87 cm x 19.05 cm.

To remove the lines from LO Presentation projections, I made a jpg file of a Black screen with dimensions 34.10 cm x 19.20 cm. I then pasted this black screen on each slid in turn. For this box, I then used Position X 0.00 cm and Position Y -0.04 cm with Width 34.10 cm and Height 19.02 cm. After doing this, I used Arrange to send the this box to the back. After doing this for each slide, I then had covered all white lines.
                              If you check this posting you will find that the developers tend to avoid the issue by referencing other sites of older versions for which a cure has been found. I must admit that I have given up hope with LO developers treating this problem seriously as they seem to be more interested in new features.

I used this approach for several projections but had problems with editing slides and so I now found that it is easier to do the LO Impress editing in Wayland and project by switching to X11.​

Comment

Working...
                              X