X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Manipulate a Window with Custom Shortcuts

Background Information
    I was speaking to a guild member over the weekend and she came up with a solution for a nagging window issue in her GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). It seems that there is no option to remove or reduce the number of "nagging" screens in the GIMP when you go to save any file. I am no GIMP expert so, if there is please tell them, not me. They are there to gently remind you to check the format of the image before you save, but some people don't like them.

Example
    After producing a multiple layered image in the GIMP:
    Save As...
    Name: My Picture.bmp

This produces a dialog box that says, your image has multiple layers and BMP can't handle it. Would you like to Export, Ignore, or Cancel? This export dialog is the unwanted nag window, because after you ALT+E it still asks once again. Save as BMP? Save or Cancel? The users of GIMP assume this is a no brainer, but the developers of GIMP feel otherwise.

Procedure
    So in order to rid herself of these unwanted nags, she used the KDE "Custom Shortcuts".
    1. With the nag screen open on her desktop she ran System Settings > Custom Shortcuts.
    2. Right click in the center box under "Configure Input Action Settings".
    3. New Group, after naming it, Right Click on it.
    4. New > Window Action > Send Keyboard Input
    5. Once the new action is named open Trigger tab.
    6. Under "Trigger When", select "Window appears"
      Note: At this point you should be able to see at least chunk of the nag screen on your desktop somewhere if not move some windows.
    7. Select "Simple Window:" in the box and Edit button.
    8. Click Autodetect button
    9. The cursor will change to selection and Left click the nag window.
    10. You will get the information to set the window up and it may need to be edited.
    11. Click OK
    12. Open the Action tab.
    13. Choose "Specific Window" and New.
    14. Fill the information in or use Autodetect on the window again.
    15. In the white space under Action tab, enter your keystrokes to be sent to this window.
      For example; Alt+E was used to Export the image in this example. If more than one key is required you can seperate them with colons. Such as; Shift+S:I:M:O:N:Enter
    16. Apply

Credits and Citation
    User Wendy Black on GIMP forums.

Great job Wendy! I know this is a clever use of KDE I will use often.
    Last edited by Simon; Aug 05, 2013, 09:26 AM. Reason: typos :P
Working...
X