Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to: Kontact News, Feeds, To-do, Journal, Notes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Kontact News, Feeds, To-do, Journal, Notes.

These are pretty much self explanatory, but to the new person the concept of "adding a feed" or "reading a 'use-net' thing can be kind of intimidating.

Because of that the post will concentrate on those two with some comments on the others at the end.

News.

This is actually "Knode". A "node" is where things "come together" in say an electrical system or a railroad system or a road system. A "junction", as it were.

Knode is very interesting in that it can do a lot of things. And, the KDE developers have done a really good job of illustrating what can be done with it. This may be too far off the farm for new folks but it is probably of interest to more experienced people but maybe they don't happen to know abou it!

The illustration is about "getting mailing lists from 'use-net' or 'news' groups" and how to reply and it is so well done that the best thing I can do is provide a link to it and GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

http://userbase.kde.org/KNode/KNode_for_mailing_lists

Feeds.

Let me introduce the idea with this. Firefox has an orange button with little wavy white lines in it that says "Latest headlines" with a little down arrow and one can click that and see the latest "news" from England.

That is a "Feed".

It is unlike the "news" section wherein one can e-mail back to the news generator, this is just a "reader".

The "problem" with getting "feeds" for most folks is......what to DO with them! And where do you get them.

The "doing" part is where do you put them in the very valuable real estate at the top of a browser? There are also applications that will take them so that they will all be in one place, but that can kind of be a distraction so....

If one is going to use Kontact to begin with why not let the feeds be "collected" in it?

And that is the function of this section.

Where to get them?

a) if there is a little button like the thing for Latest News on FF on a webpage then one can click that and it will either provide an URL to the place directly or take one to another page on the site that provides a lot of different feeds like "latest news" "international news" or whatever.

b) One can also just enter a search term in Google such as "Open source feeds" or "Arts feeds" and take a look at the returns to pick the one best for you.

To put a feed into "Feeds" one can make a folder or one can close all of the provided feeds and click, but not open, "All Feeds" and go to the button that says "feeds" and then "add feed" and one will get a very simple box wherein one pasts the URL and adds a title if one wants something different than the provided one.

A folder can house several feeds.

When one has actually done some feeds the rest of the buttons are pretty much self explanatory.

To-do.

The only trick here is that it looks like one can type directly into the provided box AT FIRST, but that is not so, go to "actions" and pick "to do", it will give you the same box that you see in the calendar and when it is completed then you will see it appear in the main box and you can interact with the top menu items.

Journal

Journal is just that, write things down about what you did or want to do.

I tend to use journaling a LOT when I am working on assembling a new computer or writing a new manuscript, to keep, 'inspiration' thoughts, etc.

Notes.

That one, to me, was just a big ah-ha laugh, when I first opened it. It is the "notes" that one sees in the menu! lol

I use them all the time to keep "scripts" to use in the Terminal.

If someone has a change that should be made and is a mod, please make it and leave a note. If someone else has a change that I should make please post it and I will make it. If someone that is more expert in this has comments please make them because I am no expert.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X