X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HowTo: Configure X11vnc Server For Kubuntu 10.10

Hello All,

This post will mostly be a rehash of the information contained here: http://kubuntuguide.org/Lucid#X11VNC_Server

However, I wanted to share my additional findings with successfully getting x11vnc server to run on the latest Kubuntu.

---

Before starting we need to make a backup of the MIT-COOKIE auth file. Having this file will allow us to run x11vnc as being non-root, and eliminate much of the configuration headaches involved.

Code:
    ps wwaux | grep auth
    The file will be located in:
    Code:
    /var/run/xauth/
    In my case it was: /var/run/xauth/A:0-m7qo9b (note this file name will frequently change, necessitating copying this to a specific directory.)

Create a new directory in ~/.vnc for storing files
    Code:
    mkdir ~/.vnc
    Copy the MIT-COOKIE auth file as root.
    Code:
    sudo cp /var/run/xauth/your_file_name ~/.vnc
    Follow the instructions here for installing x11vnc and creating a password: http://kubuntuguide.org/Lucid#X11VNC_Server

The following script for running x11vnc is the only other area where I'll deviate from the Kubuntuguide website:
    Code:
    x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5900 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass -o ~/.vnc/x11vnc.log -auth ~/.vnc/your_auth_file -noxdamage -display :0
    The -auth switch specifically points to the MIT-cookie auth file, and -noxdamage has been added to prevent Compiz from creating additional display issues. However I would suggest changing the RFB or listening port to a non-standard one for security reasons.

Create a startup script:
    Code:
    echo "x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5900 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/x11vnc.pass -o ~/.vnc/x11vnc.log -auth ~/.vnc/your_auth_file -noxdamage -display :0" > ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vnc.sh
    chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vnc.sh
    Be sure to open the corresponding ports on your firewall.

Please respond with any additional suggestions, as I am by no means an expert and I am positive this configuration can be greatly improved upon. But I did want to share this information with the Kubuntu community.
Working...
X