This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Using the XFS Administrative Utilities

Below is (1) of my projects for tonight; I had a little difficulty finding information on the administrative utilities provided in the xfsdump and xfsprogs packages, so, when I found where to look, I decided to share my discoveries (please note, the following is for XFS formatted partitions ONLY):

This is a list of available utilities provided in the xfsdump package for XFS filesystems:
    xfs_estimate - estimates the space that an XFS filesystem will take
    xfs_fsr - filesystem reorganizer for XFS (i.e. defragger)
    xfsinvutil - xfsdump inventory database checking and pruning utility
    xfsdump - backs up files and their attributes in a filesystem
    xfsrestore - restores filesystems from dumps produced by xfsdump

The xfsprogs package contains the following utilities:
    xfs_copy - copies the contents of an XFS filesystem to a specified directory (only use on an unmounted partition)
    xfs_db - used to examine and debug an XFS filesystem
    xfs_admin - uses the xfs_db command to modify various parameters of a filesystem
    xfs_check - checks whether an XFS filesystem is consistent
    xfs_ncheck - generates an inode number and pathname list of all files on the given filesystem
    xfs_metadump - a debugging tool that copies the metadata from an XFS filesystem to a file
    xfs_growfs - expands the size of a specified, mounted XFS partition
    xfs_info - the filesystem geometry is printed, and argument checking is performed, but no change occurs
    xfs_io - allows the administrator to examine and debug the I/O path of an XFS filesystem
    xfs_bmap - prints the map of disk blocks used by files in an XFS filesystem, including each extent used and holes
    xfs_freeze - intended for the use of creating snapshots, halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk
    xfs_mkfile - creates an XFS file
    xfs_logprint - prints the log of an XFS filesystem
    xfs_quota - a utility for reporting and editing various aspects of filesystem quota
    xfs_mdrestore - a debugging tool that restores a metadata image generated by xfs_metadump to a filesystem
    xfs_rtcp - copies a file to the realtime partition on an XFS filesystem
    fsck.xfs - do nothing, successfully
    mkfs.xfs - constructs an XFS filesystem by writing on a special file using the values found in the arguments of the command line
    xfs_repair - repairs corrupt or damaged XFS filesystems

Edit: For anybody interested in learning more about XFS file systems, the following links are excellent sources of information regarding them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfs
    http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/index.html
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...93292#msg93292

Essentially, when planning how to partition a hard disk to XFS, you'll need a minimum of (3) partitions:
    swap - should be no more than about 1 1/2 times the size of your RAM
    /boot - formatted to ext3 for use by GRUB because XFS formatted partitions are only compatible with LILO (make it at least 200MB)
    / - root partition; should be formatted to XFS and as large as desired

A separate /home partition (and even an additional /data partition) is also a good idea.

I am very well pleased with the performance of my XFS partitions; they are fast and reliable. Good stuff
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )
Working...
X