This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I go from KDE to Xbuntu

I use an old laptop and run 12.04 LTS on it with KDE desktop. I've read that Xubuntu will take up fewer resources and would like to give it a try. I see Xbuntu in the Muon package manger.

How do I remove KDE and install Xbuntu?

This has been answered several times, but if you want to migrate to Xubuntu run the following command in your terminal.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xubuntu-desktop
    To remove KDE simply search KDE in Muon select all KDE aps it displays and choose remove.

Comment

Thanks

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I guess i I want to go back to KDE I would use the same command protocol?

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
      This has been answered several times, but if you want to migrate to Xubuntu run the following command in your terminal.
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xubuntu-desktop
      To remove KDE simply search KDE in Muon select all KDE aps it displays and choose remove.

Comment

If you aren't sure, install xubuntu-desktop, and leave KDE alone, unless you are severely short of disk space. You can pick which desktop to start at login.

Completely removing any of the -desktops, kubuntu-, xubuntu-, etc. is not simple.

If you are tight on disk space, or just like a tidy system, decide on one you like and install that flavor from its CD/DVD iso.

Comment

I am at 41% used, I have everything I need installed so I'm not very tight on space.

I do have Xbuntu installed, it does give me a choice at startup and also a choice if I log out.

Odd thing is that Xubuntu files manager doesn't recognize my external hard drive. In Kubuntu Dolphin will show it.

I'm going to play around for a while with Xbuntu just to see if it is any less of a foot print on this old laptop. I have 2 gigs of ram on this HP Pavillion zv5000. I've had this laptop a looooong time.

Hard to remove the desktops eh? That part I don't like.

I can say this, for looks in my opinion I like Kubuntu. This laptop is kind of a play toy. I browse on it and stream audio with VLC. Other than that it just sites to my right as I work on the desktop computer.

Originally posted by ronw View Post
          If you aren't sure, install xubuntu-desktop, and leave KDE alone, unless you are severely short of disk space. You can pick which desktop to start at login.

Completely removing any of the -desktops, kubuntu-, xubuntu-, etc. is not simple.

If you are tight on disk space, or just like a tidy system, decide on one you like and install that flavor from its CD/DVD iso.

Comment

With 2 gigs of RAM, you are unlikely to see a significant increase in performance with xubuntu or lubuntu. Perceptions and opinions will vary.

Comment

I think, when I am looking at different distros the perception overrides reality.

Originally posted by ronw View Post
              With 2 gigs of RAM, you are unlikely to see a significant increase in performance with xubuntu or lubuntu. Perceptions and opinions will vary.

Comment

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
                Odd thing is that Xubuntu files manager doesn't recognize my external hard drive. In Kubuntu Dolphin will show it.
                Do you have the gvfs and udisks packages installed?

Comment

Udisks is installed
                  Gvfs is not

I'm using Dolphin, it shows the external. No need to install any other packages because it works for me.

I think there is a difference in visual fonts in Xbuntu that I like, it is easier on older eyes.

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                  Do you have the gvfs and udisks packages installed?

Comment

So if I want to go back to KDE only are any of the commands on this link possible to use to do it?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/92084...ubuntu-desktop

Still not sure on which desktop environment I like best.
                    Last edited by urdrwho5; Mar 14, 2015, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
                      So if I want to go back to KDE only are any of the commands on this link possible to use to do it?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/92084...ubuntu-desktop

Still not sure on which desktop environment I like best.
                      If you want to remove XFCE simply type in terminal
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get remove package1 package2 etc....
                      Replace package1 package2 name with actual names of the XFCE packages you want to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by urdrwho5
                        The commands you linked to are for removing XFCE. You certainly don't need to do that to "go back to" KDE Plasma. Just choose Plasma at the login screen.

Originally posted by urdrwho5
                        Thunar < Dolphin. You know you can use KDE applications while in XFCE, right? In XFCE, you can even make Dolphin your default file manager. (Search for a program called "Preferred Applications" and set it in there.)

@urdrwho5
                        I'm also a KDE user who's using XFCE at the moment. Except my reason is a bit different--Plasma 5 annoys me.
                        I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Working...
                        X