This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xubuntu 12.04 on an HP Pavillion dv5000

It had a Celeron M 1.3 GHz 32 bit CPU. It has only 512MB of RAM and 128MB of that is used for the NVidia video chip.

The Kubuntu 12.04 LiveCD wouldn't even boot after 15 minutes of CD activity so I rebooted with Xubuntu 12.04 in the CDROM.

It came up, I installed it without problems and WOW! IS Xfce4 really FAST on that machine. I used my accelerated video testing program, Stellarium, and it gave me a consistent 28 fps. That is acceptable because the motion of the stars is fluid. Celestia will probably work well also.

Xfce4 looks somewhat like a minimal GNome 2.0. It has two panels, a narrow one at the top which looks similar to Gnome 2, and what appears to behave like an auto-hiding dashboard panel at the bottom, to where one drags apps from the menu structure to create a "quick launch" capability. All in all, very nice Xubuntu 12.04 is now my backup distro for slow or old PC.

Last night I installed it on an Acer Aspire 3000, which was my wife's PC before she gave it to our 5 year old grandson. It had Kubuntu 10.04 on it but it was too slow to run Tekkit Minecraft. After I put Xubuntu 12.04 on it it was .... still too slow to run Tekkit Minecraft, but it is a LOT faster than it was running KDE on Kubuntu 10.04. Doesn't matter though, if it won't run Minecraft in a decent way "it isn't any good". Those are his words!

But Xfce4 on that Acer makes it a decent browser, email and document writing PC, which is all a lot of elderly folks do with their PCs. So, it will probably find a good home within a few weeks.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

try Lubuntu 12.10 ;-)
    Good luck!

Comment

Does Lubuntu feature a KDE lite desktop? It appears so to me from the meager screen shots on their website...
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It uses LXDE ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE ).
        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Does Lubuntu feature a KDE lite desktop? It appears so to me from the meager screen shots on their website...
          If you want "KDE lite" try Razor-qt http://www.razor-qt.org/

Install Xubuntu or Lubuntu and replace XFCE or LXDE with Razor-qt then goto qt-apps.org to download and install qt apps you want to run on it.

Or just stick with XFCE or LXDE which are both very good and "lite" (light) desktops.
          Last edited by Guest; Sep 22, 2012, 06:07 AM. Reason: added url

Comment

Well, the two 1GB RAM sticks came from Amazon ($31) last Tuesday and I replaced the two 250MB sticks that were in the dv-5000. The improvement in speed was so noticeable that I installed the 32 bit version of Kubuntu 12.04 on it. Kubuntu runs like a dream. Easily faster than the XP that was on it before (but which was running under 512MB). She's very happy with the results. It's like a new laptop.

Comment

Working...
            X