This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any one try Xubuntu?

Just lookin for some input on Xubuntu, anyone who has used it plz share your opinion

Re: any one try Xubuntu?

It's slick, fast, and beautiful.

It has no trash can. It doesn't have as many options as KDE.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Hi,

I've tried also, it's nice but really doesn't have as many options as kde, lighter for ram and little bit faster.
      Just install xubuntu-desktop to take a look

Cheers

Comment

I installed xubuntu-desktop and like it quite a bit, it gets confusing though with all the kde stuff included in the menu but i suspect that i can also run that stuff too

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfx78
          I installed xubuntu-desktop and like it quite a bit, it gets confusing though with all the kde stuff included in the menu but i suspect that i can also run that stuff too
          yes, you can run them.
          <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Beside apt-get how do I download the whole thing store in pendrive to install later, and how big is it ? btw I am using 6.0.6 LTS release.
            Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu

---How do you delete ? Ubuntu screenshot shoes a trashcan.  I have it loaded on my iBook 466 because I had trouble getting Kubuntu to work.  Only missing trash can & the wifi to work.

I posted my Kubuntu prob in the noob section.  Only response was to try Xubuntu since it was smaller/lighter.
              Kubuntu 9.04 - Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz DP&nbsp; / 3.0GB RAM / 160GB HD / 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 XT <br /><br />Debian 5.03 - iMac G3 400 MHz / 512MB RAM / 40 GB HD / 8MB ATI Rage Pro 128 Pro<br /><br />Mac OS X 10.4.11 - Powerbook G3 400 MHz / 512MB / 40GB HD / 8MB ATI Rage Pro 128

Comment

Originally posted by natgab

---How do you delete ? Ubuntu screenshot shoes a trashcan. I have it loaded on my iBook 466 because I had trouble getting Kubuntu to work. Only missing trash can & the wifi to work.

I posted my Kubuntu prob in the noob section. Only response was to try Xubuntu since it was smaller/lighter.
                by no trash can, he means, when you delete, it gets deleted right away, and not moved to a trash bin like in windows, when you would then have to delete it later.
                <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

I want to try it as It could be brilliant for my old P3 that I managed to get Ubuntu onto but can I get it running from the installation = NO. The iso does not downlaod successfully so I have been foreced to order discs from some guys selling them. >

Comment

I've tried. I've had to back away because it loses my wireless connection.
                    NTP

Comment

xubuntu is nice, you have to manually configure more but it is very snappy. Oh, it's not brown.

Comment

Inspired by this forum I tried Xfce again. Nothing..and I mean nothing... no menu no image just a blank screen. I discovered by trial and error pressing alt-f4 will let me exit.

I'd like to speed up my laptop how can I get Xfce working?
                        NTP

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
                          Originally posted by natgab

---How do you delete ? Ubuntu screenshot shoes a trashcan. I have it loaded on my iBook 466 because I had trouble getting Kubuntu to work. Only missing trash can & the wifi to work.

I posted my Kubuntu prob in the noob section. Only response was to try Xubuntu since it was smaller/lighter.
                          by no trash can, he means, when you delete, it gets deleted right away, and not moved to a trash bin like in windows, when you would then have to delete it later.
                          I don't know if you are still watching this, but 6.10 has the trash can now. I have just switched from kubuntu to xubuntu. I like the look of it better. There was nothing wrong with kubuntu, I just tried xubuntu on another machine and liked the look and the way it does some things a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by RevNomad
                            Inspired by this forum I tried Xfce again. Nothing..and I mean nothing... no menu no image just a blank screen. I discovered by trial and error pressing alt-f4 will let me exit.

I'd like to speed up my laptop how can I get Xfce working?
                            NTP
                            What have you tried so far? Which version are you using? Do you know your type of video card on your machine?

Comment

Hmmm, I've tried everything I know (it didn't take long).

Video card? It's a Dell Latitude laptop and it's at home. I'll see if I can figure that out after work.

Thanks for the interest.

Comment

Working...
                              X