X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to install xfce

Hello,

I am using a very old computer ( 700 Mhz, 128 Ram, 40 Gb HD ) and just installed Kubuntu from the live cd.
    It installed and works perfectly well except that it runs a little slow. I am planning on installing xFCE instead which I know will work fine but here's the trouble :

I do not have an internet connection.
    I would really LOVE if I did not have to install from scratch using the server method ( I usually download files here at work and then take them home in my usb pen or burn them in a cd and try to execute them there ). I would really appreciate help on this, I am a newbie in kubuntu. Thanks a lot.

Re: how to install xfce

I'd use "apt-get install -d xfce4" on your work computer to get packages you need for a basic xfce install. The -d option downloads files without installing them. You can then copy the *.deb files to a memory stick, and use that to install a basic xfce system at home. I have no idea how large the xfce4 packages are, so you may need to burn a CD.

Comment

Use this add-on CD.
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

broken link

I have downloaded the xfce4 and I think I can install it using the following steps :

Downloaded : xfce4-4.2.1.1-installer.bin

$ chmod +x xfce4-4.2.1.1-installer.bin
        $ xhost +localhost
        $ su
        # ./xfce4-4.2.1.1-installer.bin

I tried this in my work computer which only has Ubuntu and it says that libgtk2.0-dev is missing, I am not interested in fixing this since I don't use that pc, I only play around with it.

I am going to try this in my home computer with no internet and hopefully I do have libgtk2.0-dev installed or available for installing.

Comment

Don't know why that link isn't working.
          Maybe the bottom of this page?
          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnofficialUbuntu510AddOnCD
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Why not simply apt-get install xubuntu-desktop ?

Comment

Originally posted by sky
              Why not simply apt-get install xubuntu-desktop ?
              No internet connection on Kubuntu. Re-read the first post.

By the way, I think this is not a dead link (one directory up from the link I posted before):

http://www.tikal26.net/ubuntu/

Comment

Let me get this straight if I want to run the Xubuntu desktop instead of Ubuntu or Kubuntu then I have to be connected to the Internet before runnning apt get whatever?

But I haven't configured Kubuntu or Ubuntu to the Interent yet. grrrr

Comment

I'm sorry, I thought you had internet connectivity at work that you could use to download the packages that you need. At the very least you can download the alternate installer iso, burn it to a CDROM and take it home. The "desktop" iso might not work on with only 128 MB of RAM.

Comment

Thanks. I have ended up ordering a Xubuntu disc 6.10 from one of the commercial sites. It did not break the bank at £2.50. I have tried downloading the iso at work - three times now and each time it has been incomplete. I am currently appraising the Ubuntu series as I want to build a small network at home. I have been extoiling its virtues to others who need to upgrade their operating systems but have modest hardware. So far I cannot describe anything as user friendly or fit for purpose. I am only looking to get pretty modest things to work to start. So far I am stuck on the bottom of the Linux learning curve. I have to say that these forums assume far to great an existing knowledge to be of much practical support for a beginner like me. It is no good telling a beginning to go to adept and do bla, bla, bla because you have already lost me. I need spoon feeding at a much great level. Some of the resources I have been referred to have disappeared when I have revisited them, so I assume they are not fit for purpose. I am going to start writing a whole set of instructions from a non IT, non Linux angle i.e., assume no knowledge of anything. I would appreciate someone checking them over so where is the best place to post them? Should I start a blog? If so how do I do that?

ATB

John

Comment

Originally posted by hotdoctor
                      I have to say that these forums assume far to great an existing knowledge to be of much practical support for a beginner like me. 
                      Many posters often assume some familiarity with linux/kubuntu systems (or at least assume users have read the Kubuntu Desktop Guide, which 'should' explain the basics, the Guide is available in the kmenu 'Help' and online here:
                      https://help.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desk...e/C/index.html
                      (that should give you a headstart on climbing that 'learning curve' in compact format )

Of course on the 'Help the new guy' forum or when easy step-by-step instructions are requested, people usually try to give 'as simple as possible' instructions.

I am going to start writing a whole set of instructions from a non IT, non Linux angle i.e., assume no knowledge of anything.  I would appreciate someone checking them over so where is the best place to post them?  Should I start a blog?  If so how do I do that?
                      That's a nice idea. You could start a thread, though blog might be even better ...you can create one here in the kubuntuforums, click on the 'Blog' entry on the main menu to get started.

Comment

I'd love insturctions. No that is not right. I desperately need instructions. I've tried XFCE several times over the last month. All I get is a blank screen. Help!

NTP

Update:

I finally gave up. XFCE simply will not work for me. I have no idea what is wrong therefore no idea what type of help to request. NTP :P

Comment

Working...
                        X