This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xubuntu crashing

i dont know if anyone has posted this yet. if so im sorry. but i installed xubuntu on my computer and had it up and running. i updated, downloaded all the programs i needed, and everything was working fine..... for about one day. then i turned on my computer and xubuntu did not work. the screen was black and i was told that there was no operating system present. so i REinstalled xubuntu. but now when i try to open amaroK and try to download that patch to make it mp3 compatible, the whole system gets hung up and freezes and it stays like that. and it happens sometimes when i open system settings and things of that sort. so has this happened to anyone else before? and does anyone have any clues as to why it happened? and more importantly, how do i fix it?

Re: Xubuntu crashing

It sounds suspiciously like a hardware issue. Do you/have you had another operating system on this computer -- does it/did it have problems? Have you added or changed an internal component lately (hard drive, RAM, video card)? Have you made any changes in the BIOS settings? Did you install Kubuntu over or in place of a prior OS? Are you confident that the partitioning and boot flag-setting part of the process was done satisfactorily?

Comment

Re: Xubuntu crashing

Hard to pinpoint the problem, but Dibl may be right about the hardware issue.
      But we have causes that don't really match a hardware issue... you could try checking the BIOS and see how is the voltage supply for your system. Occasional hangups are due to instability in overclock (in case your system is overclocked), overheating, and even bad sectors in your harddisk.
      Remember that these are just assumptions, since there is not much detail and we can't say now THIS or THAT is the problem.
      Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X