X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Rendering problems

Hello,
    Since today my application windows don't use the complete available area of the monitor. At the top of the screens there is an "empty" space within which the top part of the screen background is displayed. In addition to this - eg. with Konsole windows, the area shows the application menu bar against the screen background. I did "fiddle" with the control bar settings yesterday, which might be the reason. Here comes the output of inxi -F for my laptop system:
    System: Host: hslaptop Kernel: 5.11.0-31-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Console: tty 2 Distro: Ubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo)
    Machine: Type: Laptop System: Sony product: VGN-AW11M_H v: C6010CXT serial: 28282369-5004308
    Mobo: Sony model: VAIO serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: R0200Y2 date: 08/12/2008
    Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 69.5 Wh condition: 72.2/73.3 Wh (98%)
    CPU: Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo P8400 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 3 MiB
    Speed: 1596 MHz min/max: 1600/2267 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1596 2: 1596
    Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA G98M [GeForce 9300M GS] driver: nouveau v: kernel
    Device-2: Ricoh Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC9 [R5U870] type: USB driver: uvcvideo
    Display: server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1680x945~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A
    Audio: Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.11.0-31-generic
    Network: Device-1: Marvell 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet driver: sky2
    IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1d:ba:86:ca:c7
    Device-2: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi
    IF: wlp5s0 state: down mac: 00:21:5d:b5:9a:72
    Drives: Local Storage: total: 298.09 GiB used: 138.1 GiB (46.3%)
    ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Fujitsu model: MHZ2320BH G1 size: 298.09 GiB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 89.47 GiB used: 68.21 GiB (76.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
    ID-2: /boot/efi size: 511 MiB used: 5.2 MiB (1.0%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda7
    Swap: ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 9.97 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda1
    Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: 50.0 C gpu: nouveau temp: 49.0 C
    Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
    Info: Processes: 277 Uptime: 38m Memory: 7.73 GiB used: 3.14 GiB (40.6%) Shell: Sudo inxi: 3.3.01
    System: Host: hslaptop Kernel: 5.11.0-31-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Console: tty 2 Distro: Ubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo)

By the way - I cannot find where to specify "software-rendering" within System Settings...
    Thanks for any helpful hints
    H. Stoellinger

I did "fiddle" with the control bar settings
    What do you mean by this? Unsure of what you mean by 'control bar'.
    What specifically did you fiddle?
    Can you post a screenshot of what you see?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      What do you mean by this? Unsure of what you mean by 'control bar'.
      What specifically did you fiddle?
      Can you post a screenshot of what you see?
      -> I mean the "task bar". It's called "Kontroll-Leiste" in German (that's why I called it "control bar".
      Us Non-English native speakers have to cross yet another barrier when trying to solve issues!

-> eg. - number of lines in task bar, height
      -> Screenshot shows the respective application window. Beyond the top of it one can see (some 7 to 8 mm) of
      the screen background. It seems that not ALL of the top screen area is used for displaying application windows.
      On the bottom everything (bottom of task windows, task bar) is shown correctly. On the screenshot below what
      I talk about is the narrow dark-blue background area at the top...
      By the way - my apt history.log doesn't show any updates in the area of Plasma/KDE or the like.
      Thanks for your help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210830_182216.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	645202
      Last edited by hstoellinger; Aug 30, 2021, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Was asking just for clarity, specifically because of the language differences.

Try right-clicking on the top, there may be an empty panel accidentally added there. You would get similar menus to right-clicking on the bottom panel where the taskbar, system tray, and other items are.
        If it is an empty panel, the right-click menus will be different than if you right-click on the actual desktop somewhere else.

Examples:

Empty panel
        mine is not transparent at the moment as I am using a different theme, and I don't have a bottom panel with systray, task manager, etc on my second screen
        If I was using one of my usually transparent Plasma style choices, the top area would look like the second image, with the wallpaper showing through as expected.

Name:	Screenshot_20210830_130451.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	645203

Same screen with normal desktop menus, and the empty panel removed.

Name:	Screenshot_20210830_130528.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	645204

Note the different menus.

If it IS a panel, then simply right-click >> Edit Panel >> More Options >> Remove panel.

If not.......

Comment

Thanks a lot! It WAS a superfluous empty panel! I had added inadvertently. I removed it - like you suggested - and everything is fine now!
          Regards from Salzburg
          Last edited by hstoellinger; Aug 30, 2021, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Comment

Claydoh,

Name:	Bow_Down_smiley.gif
Views:	7
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	645205
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Claydoh,
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]9524[/ATTACH]
                He's been there, done that
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                  He's been there, done that
                  I will neither confirm nor deny that statement

Comment