This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make desktop persist between logins

I would like my desktop to come back exactly as I left it after logging out of previous session. Obviously I have looked this up and the usual answer is to go to Desktop Session -> System Settings and check the Restore Previous Session option. However, my Desktop Session menu does not offer that option. The available options are:
    - Restore previous saved session
    - Restore manually saved session
    - Start with an empty session

None of these really does the trick. When I log out and then in, some of the things I was using before persist, but not all. I have never consciously saved a session. I am new to Plasma (and to Kubuntu, which I chose for its Plasma implementation) but I did try it out on a laptop before installing and then kept all the configs, so I presume the things that get saved have carried on from the last (automatically) saved state on the laptop. I had 20.10 on the laptop but as 21.04 came out just as I set up main computer I installed 21.04 (but kept the config files from 20.10).

Some things (mostly non-KDE) simply don't support the saved session rules. Chrome browser is one. Firefox does restore, however.
    The default 'Restore previous saved session' does save the session at logout. It does for me, except for a couple of items.
    There is not much anyone can do about it, unfortunately. If the items are things you almost always use after signing on, then maybe an autostart item for it could be useful?

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will probably just revert to using hibernation instead of shutdown, which should do the trick.

Comment

Working...
      X