Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I assign keyboard shortcuts containing Tab key?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] How can I assign keyboard shortcuts containing Tab key?

Meta-Tab and Meta-Shift-Tab “walk” though activities, but I find it pretty annoying that, after thus switching to another activity, I have to hit Escape to hide the activity-switching widget.

So I would like to reassign Meta-Tab and Meta-Shift-Tab to “Switch to next/previous activity”, as Meta-Tab is just the perfect shortcut for this.

However, it seems I can’t assign any keyboard shortcut involving Tab, because hitting the Tab key simply changes focus away from the Add custom shortcut button.

(I could probably find the config file where I can do this manually, but with so little traffic in this forum, I thought I can’t hurt to ask here, as well.) Thanks!

I have quite decided if I should file a bug over this. I suppose there should be a way to exit the shortcut definition process via keyboard, but perhaps that could be a two-step process (first tab assigns the shortcut, any subsequent tab exits out of the control?) :-/
    Last edited by ThorstenNY; Feb 24, 2021, 09:51 AM. Reason: UTF-8 forum fail, again :(

Originally posted by ThorstenNY View Post
    Meta-Tab and Meta-Shift-Tab “walk” though activities, but I find it pretty annoying that, after thus switching to another activity, I have to hit Escape to hide the activity-switching widget.

So I would like to reassign Meta-Tab and Meta-Shift-Tab to “Switch to next/previous activity”, as Meta-Tab is just the perfect shortcut for this.

However, it seems I can’t assign any keyboard shortcut involving Tab, because hitting the Tab key simply changes focus away from the Add custom shortcut button.

(I could probably find the config file where I can do this manually, but with so little traffic in this forum, I thought I can’t hurt to ask here, as well.) Thanks!

I have quite decided if I should file a bug over this. I suppose there should be a way to exit the shortcut definition process via keyboard, but perhaps that could be a two-step process (first tab assigns the shortcut, any subsequent tab exits out of the control?) :-/
    Doesn't ALT+TAB already do this?

Comment

Alt-Tab switches between windows (of applications.) I want to switch between Plasma activities (i.e., those alternatives to virtual desktops.)

Comment

Alt-Tab switches between windows (of applications.) I want to switch between Plasma activities (i.e., those alternatives to virtual desktops.)
        Ah, ok, I've never heard of "activities" before.. I've just been switching between "windows" all this time. I suppose I should learn what activities are now that I'm on KDE.

Comment

To that end, this post and its follow-ups might be helpful: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post441599

Comment

To that end, this post and its follow-ups might be helpful: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post441599
            Thank you. I've been using Linux for 21 years.. and that just seems like an unnecessary complication for me. I'll stick to "old school" work habits.

Comment

Originally posted by revmacian View Post
              I've been using Linux for 21 years
              Newbie!

Comment

Working...
              X