This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test Plasma 5.20

Hi, currently on kubuntu 20.10. Could be possible to test KDE Plasma Version 5.20 on the distro or upgrade to 21.04? Need it to hunt for bugs.

If you want to hunt for Plasma 5.20 bugs, KDE Neon might be better suited.
    You can install (not upgrade) a pre-pre-alpha daily build of 21.04, but at this extremely early stage of the Ubuntu development process, you will be fighting regular kernel, driver and other general OS bugs, constant system changes, and often serious instability much more often than any potential Plasma bugs

Comment

Thank you, that's what I thought. It's just the development version of Kubuntu (future release). Will try it and report what happens.

Comment

Just tested hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso (2020-11-20 05:45), and inside Virtualbox I get black screen with 2 first options, and goes to wallpaper on OEM install but no menu or icon or anything.

Comment

Arch and Manjaro do have latest Plasma for direct install.

Comment

Originally posted by ankara View Post
            Just tested hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso (2020-11-20 05:45), and inside Virtualbox I get black screen with 2 first options, and goes to wallpaper on OEM install but no menu or icon or anything.
            Not unexpected, also the version of virtualbox probably don't always play well with very early development Ubuntu stuff, historically.
            Try virt-manager, it may work better for the purpose.
            or, as you have noted, use a stable
            distro that already has Plasma 5.20. It just is not going to be Kubuntu at the moment.

5.20 has been pretty boring for me, in terms of bugs. I know it is at 5.20.3 already, but I haven't noticed any issues on either of my systems using it on Neon, which is my main (only) OS.

Comment

Same thing with Vmware Workstation, only wallpaper.

Comment

Very early *buntu images are frequently broken in places, and maybe vmware has the same issues in not yet supporting an ubuntu version that is not going to be released until April 2010.

As I mentioned, KDE Neon has 5.20, but using a stable Ubuntu 20.04 LTS base, and should run just fine in virtual machines. Manjaro has 5.20 available as well.

Comment

Working...
                X