This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Notifier Woes

Hi all. Just thought I would post a problem I have been having for some days now and the eventual fix that "happened" for me.

So I've been having issues setting up the device notifier in plasma 5.16.5 (Kubuntu 19.10).
    I would navigate to K-menu>System Settings then at the bottom of the system settings bar > Removable Storage, then Device Actions.
    Any changes I made to the new entry I created seemed to have no effect, so I tried modifying some of the other entries, namely the storage device actions, I only added a number to each ones name, nothing else was changed.
    Well that seemed to break the device notifier for storage devices since my external hard drive wouldn't show any actions at all and even failed to show up in device notifier, it DID show up in dolphin and was auto mounted by plasma just fine though.
    After some poking around (Documentation for obscure issues like this is HARD to find, but understandable since this is a community project, I LOVE Kubuntu BTW, not being sarcastic), I found out the system used for device notifier is called solid? So I used that in the K-menu search bar and this popped the device notifier edit window directly instead of wrapped inside the system settings menu. Weirdly changes I made in THAT window were getting set. if you check your path "~/.local/share/solid/actions/" you can see the actions you just setup, the file I setup with the first editor was not filled out correctly with doubles for some setting lines, the second editor I used through the search menu works great.
    I hope this helps someone out.
    Also how do I restore the default device action setting? I wasn't sure what to copy over from "/usr/share/solid/actions/"

Sam

Thank you, I had no idea these actions could be set up or edited.

Note that 19.10 reached "end of life" (dead?) on the 17th of July, you're not getting security fixes...
    Regards, John Little

Comment

19.10 is already dead? I downloaded this distro a couple months ago. Wow

Comment

Originally posted by MrSmith123 View Post
        19.10 is already dead? I downloaded this distro a couple months ago. Wow
        in June, you could have downloaded 20.04 with long term support. Non-LTS releases are supported for nine months, it's been that way for over 15 years.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Non-LTS releases have a 9-month life span, so they becomes End of Life three months after the next release. Non-LTS releases essentially are designed be upgraded every 6 months. 20.04 was released last April.

Comment

Thanks, I did not know this. I'm running 20.04 now,

Comment

Working...
            X