This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] disable timeline and search in Dolphin

Below places panel in Dolphin I have timeline option that shows recently saved and search documents, pictures, sound files, movies. How to disable these two options? I checked Dolphin settings but didn't find option for this.

It is in Dolphin version 16.04.3, Plasma 5.8.3.

KDE is not the memory hog that many would have you believe, but if you are that desperate to conserve memory, it might be time to consider another DE.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Gosh. This is not answer to my question. What if I just don't use this options. Customization is a synonym of Plasma KDE.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, about the only thing you can do is "Hide" those by right clicking on the entry and selecting Hide. How you get them back after hiding I'm not sure of. I'm sure it is in the user's local folder for Dolphin configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
          Gosh. This is not answer to my question. What if I just don't use this options. Customization is a synonym of Plasma KDE.
          It might not be an answer to your question but it just might be the solution to your problem. (and it was said in all sincerity, no snark). You have how many threads on how to disable basic functions of KDE so you can recover memory? I agree, KDE is highly customizable, one of the reasons I use it on both my systems, but it may not be the best choice for your hardware.

Best,
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Perhaps these two option has connection witch baloo, because when I desactivated baloo and restarted they disappeared.

Code:
            balooctl disable
            balooctl status
            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...934#post416934

Comment

Knowing what Baloo is, which indexes your files for quicker searches, I would say yes, that would make sense they would disappear since the main piece isn't enabled. May be why I never have seen those as I always make sure Baloo is off.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                If I'm not mistaken, about the only thing you can do is "Hide" those by right clicking on the entry and selecting Hide. How you get them back after hiding I'm not sure of. I'm sure it is in the user's local folder for Dolphin configuration.
                You can get them back by right-clicking in a blank space in the Places pane and choosing "Show all entries". Strangely, I couldn't find, using find, where this change is written to in any file!

The file written to is ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel with
                Code:
                <IsHidden>false</IsHidden>
                and
                Code:
                <IsHidden>true</IsHidden>
                BTW, other than possibly reducing clutter, I wonder how much "RAM" is saved by hiding something.
                Last edited by chimak111; Jun 23, 2018, 09:43 AM.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Probably not much RAM is saved by that but does reduce clutter.

Comment

If an ultimate goal is less resource usage, up I greatly suggest either 18.04 or Neon. The current Plasma in each is way way way better than 16.04's plasma in terms of ram usage.

Kubuntu 18.04 offers a minimal install option, which gives a bare setup - no Kontact/akonadi for example, which is also how Neon comes by default.

I run plasma on my chromebooks and the ram usage on a stock install on booting is 450 to 550 mb which is only marginally higher than Xfce (400 to 500). That includes baloo running as I cannot live without file search options.

I run Gallium OS on the chromebooks which is 16.04 based, and installed a base KDE setup just to see how it would go.

It did, just slowly. I "converted" it to Neon by adding their repos, upgraded packages, and zoom! Much much snappier.

Another thing to note is that though you may be eliminating some ram usage, I'll wager that due to how Linux handles ram in general, this saved ram likely will be used by the system any way, adding to the pool of ram it keeps around.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Another thing to note is that though you may be eliminating some ram usage, I'll wager that due to how Linux handles ram in general, this saved ram likely will be used by the system any way, adding to the pool of ram it keeps around.
                      And before anyone else provides this link, here's https://www.linuxatemyram.com/
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                      X