This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVidia defects

About 2.5 years ago, when I installed KDE Neon, I also decided to try the nvidia driver for my GT 650M. It worked perfectly. As time rolled along, after an update about 6 months ago, I noticed that to get a desktop without a mouse artifact I had to restart sddm from the login screen before I logged into my desktop.

Last September I signed on to a 100Mbps fiber optic symmetrical connection. In the last month I've noticed that YT videos, including ads, buffer too much, almost becoming unwatchable. Also, secondary HTML pages occasionally buffered as well.

Yesterday I decided to switch back to my Intel HD3000 graphics chip. In doing so the logout capability did not work, even from a Konsole. So I hit the power button. Running on the Intel graphic I do not need to restart the sddm. Videos start immediately and very few have buffered.
    My desktop runs about about 60fps vertically synced, which is about 1/3rd as fast as the GT 650M. The Universe Sandbox^2 jitters only when particle count gets large. Most simulations run reasonably fast. Minecraft runs nicely.

I am going to play with some other nvidia drivers and see if anything changes.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I purged the NVidia-378 driver and associated apps and also purged their config files. I rebooted and then installed NVidia-390 and rebooted again. The accelerated behavior is the same. I still have to restart sddm at the login screen to avoid mouse artifacts. I checked Universe Sandbox^2 and Minecraft. They are both performing perfectly. Minecraft was again running at 300fps+. The two moon simulation in Sandbox didn't jitter running under NVidia like it did using the Intel HD3000.

I haven't used the Internet & video sites enough to say if the NVidia-390 is causing buffering the way the NVida-378 appeared to be. Time will tell.

I guess I'll just live with it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X