This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is Plasma Vault?

Hello. KDE Neon updated to 5.11.0 this morning. I was (am) excited to try out the new Plasma Vault feature - however I cannot find it! So far I have:
    • Searched system settings
    • Searched the Kickoff Menu
    • Searched KRunner
    • Searched Widgets
    • Right-clicked a folder in Dolphin

I would say this feature roll-out is somewhat of a bust if it's not even discoverable. Can someone enlighten me on how to find it? Thanks!
    Last edited by dequire; Oct 10, 2017, 10:05 AM.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Doesn't seem to have a build for the 5.11.0 release in Neon. Investigating with them...
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Should build soon. Once available, install the 'plasma-vault' package.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        Should build soon. Once available, install the 'plasma-vault' package.
        Thanks for following up - much appreciated.
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Another question while I'm here: Why are new wallpapers that are featured on every major release not included on upgrades as well? Is it to save adding them as a dependency? A Google of the web sure shows a lot of people out there looking for them. The new one looks great.
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
            Another question while I'm here: Why are new wallpapers that are featured on every major release not included on upgrades as well? Is it to save adding them as a dependency? A Google of the web sure shows a lot of people out there looking for them. The new one looks great.
            I assume you man the old official plasma wallpapers? e.g. the 5.10.x one?

The wallpapers in multiple sizes/resolution can quickly make a big source/package if you were to incrementally include more and more. KDE just have the single latest one as 'next' in the breeze source package. Neon follows that and include just what KDE ships.

A distro could choose to do something else. For example, I am tempted for Kubuntu 18.04 to think about providing an optional 'retro' wallpaper package. Sort of like KDE's greatest hits in the wallpaper stakes.

Comment

For example, I am tempted for Kubuntu 18.04 to think about providing an optional 'retro' wallpaper package. Sort of like KDE's greatest hits in the wallpaper stakes.
              Hummm that may be nice

looks like we have it in Neon-/dev/stable

Code:
              vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search plasma-vault
              Sorting... Done
              Full Text Search... Done
              plasma-vault/xenial 5.11.0+p16.04+git20171010.1734-0 amd64
              Plasma applet and services for creating encrypted vaults

plasma-vault-dbgsym/xenial 5.11.0+p16.04+git20171010.1734-0 amd64
              Debug symbols for plasma-vault
              VINNY
              Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 10, 2017, 08:28 PM.
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

a wallpaper can be downloaded from ANYplace and put into pictures and Kubu will default to it.

acheron:

do that but if you are not one of the "in" crowd it will be ignored.

woodKparadigmshiftsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Updated my KDE Neon User Edition and found 5.11.0 was part of the update of 150+ packages.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

so plasma-vault got installed today in my Neon-/dev/stable ,,,without me asking for it I mite add .

is seems to work ,,,,I could create a vault put stuff in it ,,,,close the vault ,,,you can go into the folder named as you named the vault ,,but their is nothing in it until you reopen/mount it with the password .

HOWEVER their seems to be no way to remove/delete a vault ?

I forgot the password for the first one ,,,so just deleted it in dolphin,,,,,,but it did not disappear from the widget ,,,,on loging out and back in ,,,their it was in dolphin again ?

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      so plasma-vault got installed today in my Neon-/dev/stable ,,,without me asking for it I mite add .

is seems to work ,,,,I could create a vault put stuff in it ,,,,close the vault ,,,you can go into the folder named as you named the vault ,,but their is nothing in it until you reopen/mount it with the password .

HOWEVER their seems to be no way to remove/delete a vault ?

I forgot the password for the first one ,,,so just deleted it in dolphin,,,,,,but it did not disappear from the widget ,,,,on loging out and back in ,,,their it was in dolphin again ?

VINNY
                      Sounds like a "bug-report-just-dying-to-get-born" to me
                      K*Digest Blog
                      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                        Sounds like a "bug-report-just-dying-to-get-born" to me
                        I think so as well ,,,,but it will half to wate for tomorrow ,,,work comes early

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Added to the desktop seed, and hence the generated meta packages.

Comment

Added to the desktop seed, and hence the generated meta packages.
                            where should I post that bug report on plasma-vault?

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

where should I post that bug report on plasma-vault?

VINNY
                              What is the bug exactly? If you mean the vault being added to the default meta, that was intentional, as people had quite often said so far it should be installed by default

You could report against Neon in bugs.kde.org if you think that is not right.

Or a bug with the vault itself can be reported against the plasma-vault product on bugs.kde.org
                              Last edited by acheron; Oct 20, 2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X