This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Firefox Text Input Behave With Stock Breeze Dark GTK Theme

Hopefully this will help others in the same boat. Here's the situation: If you (like me) are a fan of the stock Plasma 'Breeze Dark' theme, you may notice that in your System Settings > GNOME Application Style settings dialogue, there is an option to select 'Breeze Dark' as the default GTK+ application style. There's only one problem - In many popular websites (Facebook, G+, others) the result is that text input boxes will likely lead to unreadable text. Meaning you'll have an extremely light text on a white background leading to unreadable text. A quick web search using your favorite search engine will reveal this being a problem in KDE in various incarnations going all the way back to 2010-era KDE 4. And it still continues to this day. An option that is a quick and easy fix seems to be available via this thread from Ubuntu Forums that dates all the way back to 2012! Here's the result post-fix:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Firefox_Text_Box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	649233

It's not elegant, it's not beautiful, but it's a down-and-dirty hack to force any input text to black. I will continue to search for a better solution - and if someone has one please post here as it would be greatly appreciated! - but in the end the ideal solution would be for Breeze to properly handle GTK+ applications. Again, this issue has been going on for virtually eternity, and it'd be nice if a distro that ships Firefox and ships a dark Firefox GTK+ Theme out of the box to properly handle this. I've heard that upcoming versions of Firefox on Linux will support client-side decorations, and maybe this will help somehow?. But until then, and if anyone ever really gives a sh*t about how GTK+ apps look and play in Plasma, I won't hold my breath.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

I think the whole point of client-side decoration is to have the individual application determine the window decorations rather than have the window manager decide. See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ide-decoration for more. I'm not sure that that will have any influence on the color of text in input boxes one way or the other.

And thanks for the userContent.css reminder. I had forgotten all about that!
    Last edited by chimak111; Sep 01, 2017, 11:57 AM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

This is an easy fix. I just did that two days ago in 14.04. KDE menu>applications>settings>system settings>application appearance>GTK there you can change the themes. Click apply then restart FF. If you don't like it, then try another. You can download more. Click the download button above the apply button in the lower right.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Working...
      X