Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the pop-up "authentication is required to suspend the system" when closing the lid.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the pop-up "authentication is required to suspend the system" when closing the lid.

Quick background: I've been using Ubuntu on my Asus X556UQ laptop since spring 2017. 21.04 was pretty stable for me. In November I upgraded to 21.10. Since then, I've been practically unable to use Gnome. The laptop with Gnome on 21.10 quickly became extremely slow. I didn't have enough time and motivation to investigate, and a month ago I installed Plasma, which works much better than Gnome on my laptop. Thought I was running into regular problems with KDE too. The latest problem is the "Kde policykit authentication required to suspend the system" popup when suspending the laptop.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220121_141245.png
Views:	1130
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	660056
    I need to enter the password to suspend. It first appeared a week ago. I checked /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.login1.policy file. The file is unchanged. The update date is May 15, 2021.
    What can cause this popup?

Do you have more than one user using the system or maybe you have created a SU session, https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=99581

Comment

More info might be helpful. Have you clicked on the Details button?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In System Settings --> Users --> Account is your "Account Type" set as "Administrator"?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

As GreyGeek has said go to Accounts Details>User Manager and make sure Enable administrator priviledges is check
          Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Ok, then maybe the real question might be why a non-admin user can't suspend a laptop?

Another question would be how to find out what application or service is running that bis preventing a normal suspend. That pesky blue-highlighted "Details" button will probably give the answer, and hopefully lead to a remedy, other than using a 10-pin bowling ball on a candlepin lane.

Comment

My answers:
              1. "Do you have more than one user using the system or maybe you have created a SU session"
              No, just my user is logged in.

2. "More info might be helpful. Have you clicked on the Details button?"
              I am sending details.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220125_091558.png
Views:	1024
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	660162

3. "In System Settings --> Users --> Account is your "Account Type" set as "Administrator"?"
              Yes, my user is Administrator.

Everything was working fine until I started getting these password popups. Something is corrupted on my end.. ( My first priority is to find why I am getting password popups. Unfortunately, I run into other problems with Kubuntu as well. I think that my Ubuntu/Kubuntu system gets low memory status quickly when a lot of random things can happen.

I have found a workaround for now. When I switched to virtual terminal, closing the laptop lid suspends the system. However, it is just a workaround and not a solution.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help! This problem disappeared after reboot. Previously, I've only tried logging out/re-logging in. At this time, I restarted the laptop. It was not easy, because something is broken in my system. I was unable to shutdown from Plasma. The shutdown process just died, and some GUI functions remained working. I needed to shutdown from the virtual terminal.
                I will open another thread for advice on what to do with my broken Ubuntu/Kubuntu system.

Comment

Working...
                X