This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I change from unified to extended display - two monitors

This is really about preventing me from doing something embarrassing because I should really know better...

First the basics: Kubuntu 16.04, just updated to Plasma 5.8.4 I have one monitor on DVI-I-1 (set to primary, and a TV on HDMI-1. Both are running at 1920x1080

Both work well, things function like they should, only one thing I'm not happy about. Unlike what I had previously in 14.04, my desktop icons duplicate over on
    the TV and I can't get rid of them. In 14.04 my taskbar, icons, widgets, etc where all on my primary, and the TV was essentially a blank screen.

I think what I did was unify the displays accidentally. That assumes I actually am correct in my understanding that 'unify' is very close to 'clone' in meaning.

So my question is: how do I get rid of the icons on the TV side of things, without completely botching the primary monitor sitting on my desk?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 14, 2017, 02:20 PM. Reason: Better thread title; might draw responses.

and Here I thought there would be a really simple answer to this that I had just managed to overlook

Comment

The answer might be simple. In my case I have plugged in a second display only once in 19 years of using Linux, and that was about 5 or 6 years ago, so the number of people in the pool who could answer your question is pretty small. Searching the web I find:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/81386...a-quadro-k2200

Some techniques to try are here:
      https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...roject/display

but use sudo in place of gtksu and kate in place of LeafPad.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will never ceased to be amazed that different people searching the internet for the same thing somehow manage to find different things. I'll give these a try, and see what I can come up with.

Comment

Sometimes it seems like it is the luck of the draw, doesn't it? Just re-arranging words can produce amazing differences in results.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X