This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IceWM?

I read something in TUX magazine about IceWM... is it feasible to ahve this running on Kubuntu as a different window manager?

Re: IceWM?

Hi,

It should, just type sudo apt-get install icewm and it should ask for a lot of dependencies and download.
    You can also find it in adept.

Hope it helped

Comment

Hi, I installed Kubuntu yesterday and got my Icewm up and running OK, just choose at login, been using ice for years now and its great
      A+Pete

Comment

No problems with installing IceWM with Kubuntu. I have IceWM, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Xfce, WindowMaker, Gnome, Enlightenment and KDE installed. Handy to have a backup when testing something like Dapper, KDE has been broken for a few days so different WMs to fall back on is good.
        KDE 3.5 RC1 and Dapper Drake....waiting for it to implode

Comment

laptop@craigslaptop:~$ sudo apt-get install xfce4
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree... Done
          E: Couldn't find package xfce4
          laptop@craigslaptop:~$

what does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by craigilman

what does this mean?
            It means the package named xfce4 can not be found in any of the respositories listed in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Comment

Originally posted by craigilman

what does this mean?
              xfce4 is available in the universe repositories...search the forums on how to enable universe in your sources.list

Also check out the 'xubuntu-desktop' meta-package in universe, it installs xfce4 with useful tools and applications...especially good if you wish to do a stand-alone Xfce installation using the 'server' installation as a base.

Comment

oops.. I posted it in the wrong forum.. Sorry - but thanks for the advice. I managed to install IceWM but there are hardly any apps in there... I must be missing something (thats the problem with us N00bs) Still not got xcfe... will try again with xubuntu option.

Comment

I just installed and experimented with my first "different" (ie. not Kubuntu default) windows managers/GUI. However, I realized I prefer the default Kubuntu GUI, but when I attempt to re-load after selecting "KDE" from the Session Manager option on the login window, my KMenu selections and even my program list is different! It shows things I've never accessed before (or knew I had on my system)...is there anyway I can return to the good ol' Kubuntu default I had before I started experimenting?

Comment

Working...
                  X