This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Managment for Desktop Linux Boxes

Everything I see about Linux Power Management seems to be primarily concerned with extending battery life for laptops. It seems to me that power management should be an issue for desktop machines as well. I bet that there are many millions of desk bound Linux machines that are left on continuously and burning many megawatts of power while being unused. Both Microsoft and Apple can drop into a suspend mode where power consumption drops conspicuously and rebounds quickly to user action or network action. I am sure that a greener Linux would have greater appeal.

My Linux desktop burns about 100 watts as does my XP machine. However, at night or other periods of inactivity, the XP machine drops to 4 watts. Running Kubuntu 6.06, I was unable to get my monitor to automatically switch to a low power mode without searching the forums and then editing my xorg.conf.

I urge the Ubuntu organization to take Power Management for Desktop machines seriously.

Re: Power Managment for Desktop Linux Boxes

I was unable to get my monitor to automatically switch to a low power mode without searching the forums and then editing my xorg.conf.

I urge the Ubuntu organization to take Power Management for Desktop machines seriously.
    Agreed. At least you find a way. You said in... this forum. I'll search for it, but... any link?

Comment

Yes, I agree completely. How did you alter your xorg.conf file?

Comment

Just a hint: System Settings > Monitor & Display > Power Saving

Comment

Working...
        X