X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Dependencies?

Hiya,

I'm a relative newbie to Linux, still in the "Tylenol Phase" of figuring it out, and have run into something that's got me stumped.

I'm running Kubuntu (Dapper), although it began life is Ubuntu until I got sick of Gnome and installed KDE, so now it says Kubunutu on the splash screen. Today I tried to install 3D Desktop, a common enough and well-known little app. The short of it is simply that it won't fire-up, at all. The long of it is that it appears I'm missing some dependencies, but as far as I can tell they're already installed.

3ddesk requires the following to be installed:

OpenGL/Mesa (Hardware acceleration is required)
    GLX
    XF86VidMode extensions
    Imlib2
    XFree86-devel
    imlib2-devel

I searched for all of these in Synaptic, but not all of them are listed by the names as written above, although some come close. I wonder about the difference between (or relationship of) XFree86-devel and X11, for example. Does one perhaps supercede the other? Since 3ddesk isn't officially supported, it doesn't auto-install dependencies.

So, I decided to go into the terminal and give things a try. At least in there I'll be able to get some information if it doesn't work. Sure enough, it didn't, but I did get an explanation of sorts. Unfortunately, it's all Greek to me, and I don't understand a word of it:

Attempting to start 3ddesktop server.

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Daemon started. Run 3ddesk to activate.
    Server not found after waiting 5 seconds.
    Could not find server.
    Try starting manually (3ddeskd)

I've got a GeForce card, and do have the driver installed. I tried to re-install it, but the system told me it was already installed, and that I should go eat a cookie and play quietly and stop toying with it.

So, here I am, munching my cookie and throwing myself on the mercy of "Thems what have a clue," so to speak. I'd appreciate any advice as to what I may be missing or overlooking, or what the above error might indicate is needed.

Thanks.

Re: Missing Dependencies?

Where are you trying to install it from? (or are you trying to install from source)

The '3ddesktop' package is available from the 'universe' repository with a different set of dependencies (ones that are available from the repos).

You may need to enable the 'universe' repository to make it available. (if you need instructions to do that, search the forums)

Comment

Working...
    X