This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] GUI or whatever for increasing home folder size

I knoooowwwww... by now I "ought to be able to do that"...

But, I don't.

The situation is that I download a LOT of video, some of which I will snippet and use at the college ONE TIME ( that is part of the latest version of U.S. copyright law, that a teacher can have an "educational inspiration" and use something once "with attribution" but then must get permission ).

So, since I do it kind of "drive by" i end up with a lot of video "in the home folder", specifically the downloads folder, for various periods of time and then delete the video.

So, to that end, I very seldom have anything "building up" in the trash folder but things can fill up the home folder quickly.

So... i decided to change the size of the trash folder, which is easily done in settings with a slider for the "percentage" of the home folder, but then, I made an "assumption" and we all know what that makes out of the old woodsmoker.

I assumed that the freed up space would somehow automagically be reallocated into the home folder.

Well no...

So, I let my fingers do the walking and the oh so wonderful internet keeps giving instructions for changing a variety of things that have "folder" "size" etc in them but not that.

There is a video on the tube for changing it in Mac but no...

I fiddled with partition editor but it is not sufficiently fine grained to "slider the size of the home folder", etc.

So...the question is... is there some simple way so that I do not totally screw things up, to change the size of the "home folder" or maybe... dunno..."downloads" folder to where it won't mess up other stuff?

Yeah, I could just put stuff on a usb drive and delete it but well, you know... lol...

woodthanksanyoneaheadsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Do you have another drive/partition that has the needed space ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

^^ You will need more space on the drive to make the partition larger ^^

You can not do this from your local system you must do this from a live disc, You can use a kubuntu install media or a specialized boot media like gparted live . You will use the gui tools partitionmanager (for kde) or gparted for (gnome).
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

If you have space that can be re-allocated to /home, that can be done, but not while any of the space is still mounted. If there is no extra space on the drive, get another drive formatted to your fave filesystem, install the drive as a permanent drive would be installed, then modify your fstab to identify it as an "extension" of /home (such as /home/stuff, /home/multlmedia). You can also mount it as a /mnt/<some partition name>.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

what I was geting at in post #2 was , if you have some other storage location that IS mounted at boot AND has the room you need you could do what I do to mitigate this problem .

1 - have some storage place that is mounted at boot .
          Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ cat /etc/fstab
          # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
          # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
          # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
          #
          # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
          # / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
          UUID=12886cb0-73e1-494a-8ec6-789b17d74e6a /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
          # swap was on /dev/sda2 during installation
          UUID=98d20e91-1908-48a9-b713-c4aa0fd8b055 none            swap    sw              0       0

[COLOR=#ff0000]#TB-drive
          /dev/sdb1 /mnt/btrfs    btrfs     rw,relatime,space_cache,compress=lzo     0    0[/COLOR]
          #vm's
          /dev/sda5 /mnt/vm       ext4   rw,                0    0
          the file system type dose not matter mine just happens to be BTRFS

on this drive I have a folder/directory named "kubuntu" and in that I have the "BIG" usage folders/directory's that you usually find in your /home/you

Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs/kubuntu$ ls -la
          total 4
          drwxr-xr-x 1 vinny vinny   202 Sep 24 21:18  .
          drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     52 Sep 23 22:39  ..
          drwxrwxr-x 1 vinny vinny    14 Dec 18  2015  bin
          drwxr-xr-x 1 vinny vinny   322 Jul  2  2017 'Calibre Library'
          drwxr-xr-x 1 vinny vinny  1094 Sep 20 19:15  Documents
          drwxr-xr-x 1 vinny vinny 12146 Sep 25 22:55  Downloads
          drwxrwxr-x 1 vinny vinny  3662 Sep 24 18:06  dwhelper
          drwxrwxr-x 1 vinny vinny     0 Sep 24 21:18  hold
          drwxr-xr-x 1 vinny vinny  5462 Jul  6 17:29  Music
          drwxrwxr-x 1 vinny vinny    16 Mar 15  2015  MyMachines
          drwxr-xr-x 1 vinny vinny   328 Sep 24 21:16  Pictures
          drwxrwxr-x 1 vinny vinny    36 Sep 24 18:01  steam
          drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     60 Jul 26  2017  test
          drwxr-xr-x 1 vinny vinny 23994 Sep 28 14:08  Videos
          then I remove the corresponding folder directory from /home/me and link the one's in /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu back to /home/me

Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ ls -la | grep lrwxrwxrwx
          lrwxrwxrwx  1 vinny vinny       34 Mar 19  2016 Calibre Library -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Calibre Library
          lrwxrwxrwx  1 vinny vinny       28 Mar 19  2016 Documents -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Documents
          lrwxrwxrwx  1 vinny vinny       28 Mar 19  2016 Downloads -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Downloads
          lrwxrwxrwx  1 vinny vinny       27 Mar 19  2016 dwhelper -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/dwhelper
          lrwxrwxrwx  1 vinny vinny       24 Mar 19  2016 Music -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Music
          lrwxrwxrwx  1 vinny vinny       27 Mar 19  2016 Pictures -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Pictures
          lrwxrwxrwx  1 vinny vinny       25 Mar 19  2016 Videos -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Videos
          now any time that , lets say "firefox" , downloads somthing to "Downloads" it goes to the Downloads folder/directory on the TB drive .
          you can of course do just 1 folder/directory

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I am confused (nothing new here, especially as I am taking cold meds lol)
            'Folders" are not set in size per se. If you have your entire OS installed to one drive, using only one partition (which is the default setup), there is nothing to resize, as it is all 'shared', and you have the maximum space available to your home, downloads, etc, as well as your system files. Plamsa has an option for Trash size limits to keep it from growing so big it takes up too much of one's available free space.

if you have multiple partitions, with a separate one for your home dir, the Trash folder is located inside that $HOME, so it is again sharing the same available space, with the maximum available, unless you shrink another partition in order to free up space to expand the $HOME.

The Partition manager definitely has drag-to adjust.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191005_181309.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	644339

Comment

Hi folks!

Great answers all of them! I just had not fiddled with this kind of thing for a LONG time, like YEARS ago and had forgotten the things mentioned here like having to use an external app to change the size of things and also i just kind of plain forgot that, yes, the system takes care of allocating things and that is about it in terms of changing things "internally". So, well, I'll just do what I have always done before, as per a couple of you folks reminding me of it, just put everything on a usb and let it go at that.
              The "snippets" can be kept on the main drive until they need to be archived for a while, like for one semester, and then deleted.

Hey, again, thanks!
              Admin, if one wants to delete this please so do or maybe keep it for other folks to read.

thanks again!
              woody
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
              X