This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't increase resolution when running x11vnc as headless over SSH tunnel

Trying to get 1920x1080, but only getting 1024x768 or so, the minimum default. The ideal for me is where I boot up my Kubuntu machine into the proper display using the hardware monitor and then switch away to another machine running on a different KVM port so others in my household can use the KVM monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then I want to be able to continue working on the Kubuntu machine by accessing VNC at the same resolution even though there is now no hardware attached to the display.

Searching all over, I run, on the Kubuntu remote:
    $ sudo xrandr --fb 1920x1080
    $ sudo pkill x11vnc ; sudo /usr/bin/x11vnc -auth `ls -d /var/run/sddm/{*` -forever -rfbauth <user $HOME>/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5901 -localhost -listen6 ::1 -display :0 -geometry 1920x1080 -noipv6 -no6 -rfbportv6 -1 -bg -nevershared -noxdamage -threads -xrandr resize -o /var/log/x11vnc.log

When I connect I then get only 1024x768 max, even when I go to display manager to see the resolutions.

Please advise as to any other info may be needed to help me fix this, as the need for this capability is urgent.

My workaround right now is to log in to my desktop at the proper resolution and leave that on the screen as I then connect via krdc or other vnc viewer. This works just fine, but now I can't yield the monitor, etc to any other machine.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by r3708d55cl; Oct 19, 2018, 06:20 PM.

Take a look at x2go.org it may be a better option. I use it and am able to specify resolution to use in the connection profile with it for connecting to a headless system.
    There is a windows client if you need that as well.
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
    X