This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen tearing in Chrome

I'm not sure where to post this problem. But a little background will help. Everytime I use Google Chrome, it starts out working, after a while the top of the window starts to tear and disappear.
    I'm using the open source nouvea driver in kubuntu 18.04

Has anyone had this issue or know of a fix?

thanks for reading

Have you ensured that hardware acceleration is enabled in chrome's advanced settings?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It is enabled. This is a hard bug to reproduce. It seems to happen more than not when multiple tabs are open. The other weird thing is the fact that it only happens in Google Chrome, no other apps or browsers.

I also forgot to mention that this problem would happen in Linux Mint also. So after getting frustrated, I decided to change distros 2 months ago to kubuntu. I'm glad I did anyway it's a far better distro than Mint.

Comment

try this , first go to system settings>Display and Monitor>Compositor> and under "vsync" set to "Full Screen Repaints" click apply .

use that for a wile and see if it helps .
        if not then try

Code:
        sudo touch /etc/profile.d/Tearing.sh && sudo echo  export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1 > /etc/profile.d/Tearing.sh
        reboot and try for a wile , if of no help the you can remove the script with
        Code:
        sudo rm -rf /etc/profile.d/Tearing.sh
        VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank You Vinny!
          I made the setting in vsync. Also made 2 scripts and saved them in my scripts folder just in case.
          Very much appreciated!

Comment

keep us up on how it goes

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Just typed a whole replay and it disapeared. Anyway it started again in Chrome, so moved to Firefox. Also made a shell script in /etc/profile.d and put in
              KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1 the script.

Comment

Working...
              X