This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] HDD in CD caddy is owned by Root PERMISSIONS DENIED

I got the CD caddy for my ACER and put my HDD in it. BUT, it is owned by root and I don't have permissions to read/write, etc. I know I have seen this come up before but I can't find a solution.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

The HD Caddy itself is just a piece of hardware and isn't owned by anyone. If you don't want to use root and root tools to access a particular HD plugged into the caddy then open a Konsole and use the chown command.

chown SpecialED:SpecialED -R /path to head of drive in caddy.

I have an HD in an HDCaddy in my Acer too, and I mount it at /backup. On it is a subdirectory called Data: /backup/Data
    Data was owned by root but everything in Data was owned by jerry:jerry. In a Konsole I issued "chown jerry:jerry /backup/Data. I didn't use "-R" because only Data was owned by root. Everything inside Data was owned by me and my group. I still have to be root to use the mount command but after I mount it I can use Dolphin in my account, without root privileges, to drag and drop things into Data. BTW, that HD is formatted as a Btrfs subvolume and its primary use is as a repository for archiving snapshots.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      The HD Caddy itself is just a piece of hardware and isn't owned by anyone. If you don't want to use root and root tools to access a particular HD plugged into the caddy then open a Konsole and use the chown command.

chown SpecialED:SpecialED -R /path to head of drive in caddy.
      It won't let me do that either.

specialed@specialed-Aspire-VN7-791:~$ chown specialed:specialed -R /media/specialed/Data_Storage/
      chown: cannot read directory '/media/specialed/Data_Storage/lost+found': Permission denied
      chown: changing ownership of '/media/specialed/Data_Storage/': Operation not permitted
      specialed@specialed-Aspire-VN7-791:~$

Comment

Y'all forgot to use sudo

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

sudo chown
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Y'all forgot to use sudo

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by snowhog
            sudo chown
            D'oh!
            Last edited by SpecialEd; Sep 15, 2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

All is right in the world... for now. I have a 500GB SSD humming along in the Acer now with a 1TB HDD for storage, etc., and 16GB of RAM. Timing is good because my ASUS (with similar setup) got knocked off it's table and the screen is cracked. It is a touch screen and it is now happy. That one has to go to the shop.

Comment

My bad! I should have included sudo in the command
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X