This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunapie Icecast new to Linux users

Tunapie is a great streaming media player, and Icecast is a great open source way of providing streams to folks.

But, after I read something at Sourceforge, I just have to get this off my chest.

I noticed that Tunapie is not "recording" nowadays. And it is probably not because the function is not "working" but because stuff in Kubuntu and Neon have "moved on" and the developer, by his own words, "has not looked at it in years".

But the REASON for it was not that he did not want to "do" it, but because Shoutcast "changed it's API's about open source software".

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH...

FOR THOSE NEW TO LINUX...

Shoutcast "used to be" about the freedom to listen to streamed music.

During that time we had, in the U.S. a "certain administration" which was promoting open source stuff, it DID... massively open the "short range radio station tower" liscences which produced the ABUNDANCE of "hispanic" radio stations, which have now been co-opted by the commercial stations.

And then another admin came in and ...well ...wanted a LOT OF CAMPAIGN MONEY from...the big media...and clamped down on all those evil people who were ...stealing their stuff by downloading it.

EVIL PERSON THAT YOU ARE...

Anyway...another admin came in and ...things opened up...and another admin came in and closed things down again for campaign money.

But...to get back to Shoutcast.

Because of pressure from the big media and the indifferent stance of the administration..

the whole "GUI" changed at Shoutcast to reduce the ability of the streams EVEN BEING PLAYED in...an "open source PLAYER"...because...

guess what.. there are no adverts on those open source players...WHAT A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA!!

as opposed to the Microsoft player which swamps the clueless college kid and other users with... BUY THIS!!!

So to get back to Tunapie...

MOST NEW TO LINUX PEOPLE probably have never even heard of ICECAST...

an open source and free to use as in free beer, and free to modify, version of Shoutcast.

So...this post is an ATTEMPT...to get those new to Linux to consider the use of Tunapie, even though it does not presently record, and ICECAST...

Tunapie now defaults to only Icecast.

and that is fine...I mean how many THOUSANDS of internet radio stations are there...what, I checked a while ago...13,000!!

So...Icecast maybe has... 12,500?

So it is not as if Icecast has a dearth of streaming stations...

Just not the ...COMMERCIAL STATIONS... which certain adminstrations DESPERATELY WANT YOU TO LISTEN TO..,...so they can get campaign donations...

Ummmm that IS what "Linux" and "open source" is all about...

Freedom, ...

Here are some screen shots at Sourceforge

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tunapie/#screenshots

Here is the TYPICALLY UNDER stated webpage at Sourceforge. And I DO mean UNDER stated! lol

http://tunapie.sourceforge.net/index.html

I really DO recommend that those NEW to Linux give both Tunapie and Icecast a look-see.

woodlikesTunapieandIcecastsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 16, 2017, 03:09 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Have you tried streamtuner2 ?
    Or, Tuxfreetv ?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes but this is about ...the way Linux used to be and how it is affected by the money grubbers in relatively unperceived ways.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X