Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have to plug in HDMI for desktop to show up on laptop screen [can't use it otherwise]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Have to plug in HDMI for desktop to show up on laptop screen [can't use it otherwise]

Kubuntu 16.04,
    kded4 --version: 4.14.16
    kded5 --version: 5.23.0
    I don't know which version I'm actually using , but help-> about just gives me a text, no number under any of the tabs, and no, it's not under `KDE - Be Free`)
    Grub: 0.97-29ubuntu68

What's happening is that when I boot my laptop, it shows me the login, but after login I only get a black screen, with a cursor that only moves vertically on the left side...
    I have to plug in a screen in the HDMI for the desktop to show, when I unplug it again it hides again.

No matter if I enable or disable the second screen via Display Settings.

What probably caused it is I had some issues and followed instructions to delete some files to reset settings somewhere in the `.kde4/` folder (although I only have a `kde/` folder, so i deleted it there)
    I don't remember what the issue was, or the command, but it was something like `rm /.kde/share/config/plasma-*` I just did that, assuming those files would be restored if they went missing, he sounded pretty confident that that should fix it.

Other side effects were:
    - Panels I configged will occasionally not be restored/lost,
    - The bottom taskbar/panel on the 2nd hdmi screen will get switched with my primary one.
    - The shortcuts on my taskbar will have gone ( not launcher, the other one, I don't know what it's called anymore, because the option has suddenly disappeared from my context menu, I used to be able to create 'shortcuts' from the main menu, that didn't turn into the running application, sort of like the quickstart items on old windows ( Sorry if this just sounds weird or unclear but it just happened today, and it's one of those weird things that don't have a clear cause to me, I've had this screen-issue for a few weeks now, so this one just turned up today)
    - I can't connect to a LEAP wifi network anymore (with user/password) It also forgot all my wifi settings (is this related to Plasma?)
    - My keychain password didn't work anymore, I had to remove the keychain and make a new one.

Main question is:
    How do I get those config files back? I tried installing a new version of plasma but that didn't help. I can't find any answers to restore config files.

*Update: My laptop batteries ran out, and when I rebooted, I can't use the second screen anymore, only a mirror copy of my laptop screen. But I STILL have plug in the HDMI cable for my desktop to show up.

please check in system setting -> display that your internal screen is set to defaut and not the HDMI
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

You can find the versions by using System -> Info Centre.

Kubuntu 16.04 caused me no end of multi-monitor problems, my screens would shuffle themselves around, panels would wander around, appearing on a random screen when logging in among many other bits of weirdness. Updating to the backport repository has fixed all of them for me. Obviously updating to back ports is not without risk but in my experience has been utterly stable.
      If you're sitting wondering,
      Which Batman is the best,
      There's only one true answer my friend,
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Working...
      X