Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aptik looks good. One problem with doing an upgrade instead of a fresh install is that some apps install newer config files. Keep or change? More than one problem has been solved by deleting the config file and re-running the app, especially with the KDE DE itself.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thanks for all the help fellas!

think i'm just about there, although still running now via usb.....truns out i couldn't just overwrite my config files for monitor...but i managed to do it a completely different way that basically runs a script after i logged in, so will do....even managed to get skype and google earth running again....after a lot of faf.....but still got the annoying thing where i have two icons for google earth....one that doesn't run at all.....but previously it did run then crashed within secnds...i think that one is the 64 bit version that is not fully compatible? how can i get rid of that? ;-)

what really doing my noggin though...is that my screensaver has suddenly started to work! although it never would on the old system/ hard drive....anybody any possble idea of why that might be?

but yep looking like mission accomplished....i'll keep running via usb for a few hours, might bite the bullet and physically install drive later this evening ;-)

thanks again folks!

Comment

OK, thought i was done...but it turns out i now have two major and rather annoying problems.

My internet on wireless usb dongle keeps randomly disconnecting, usually only a second or two at a time...sometimes you can see the icon whirling away although pages still download....sometimes it does lose connection completely which is a problem for certain sites i like to keep open.

and 2.....my mouse keeps suddenly stops working, so i have to reboot to get it back.

now i would usually suspect something up with usb. but only thing that has been changed is the switch to SSD. now it was doing it whilst it was in the dock, but i put that down to it being connected via the usb....but it's directly into the machine now and still doing it....any thoughts fellas, i'm bit stumped?

Comment

1). What's the chip in your wifi dongle?
          2) If your mouse is a USB device usually you can just pull the USB stub out of the socket and then plug it back in. Another possibility is the mouse battery is low.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

1) wifi dongle is a TL-WN321G

2) mouse is a logitech wireless via a kvm....don't think it's the batteries, as still working fine after a reboot and i not long changed them. Also on this mouse once they go they go...it's not a case of it still working a bit intermittently. also tried unplugging from kvm and back....it's not done it today yet though....

I'm wondering if it might be this xscreensaver thing though....might be why i stopped using it! just can't understand why it wd suddenly reenable itself after the swap over.

Comment

i just noticed, they've fixed the keyboard thing for @ and £.....yay! ;-)

Comment

A link to the Linux driver for the TL-WIN321G is here.
                What driver to Kubuntu choose?

If it's not a battery problem, which is why my 18 month battery Logitech Mouse quits working, then I'm stumped. When you find out what *.ko the kernel loads do a modinfo on it to see what are the settable properties.

Comment

thanks for that

just i'm bit of a loss as to what to do with all those files you linked to...seems a lot there and no executable to run.

when i first installed OS it found the driver automatically and i never had any problems until now. I guess your logitech must be lot more fancier than mine....mine just run on 2 x AA batteries, i use procells as anything else you have to change every week....dnt last as long as 18 months though! again auto driver on that to....i got no properties to set for it! hasn't done it today so far so maybe that one has fixed itself.....

Comment

My Logitech M325 optical mouse runs for 18 months on a single AA battery.

I looked into the zip file and read the readme. It tells how to make and compile the driver for your very old usb dongle. However, it also showed the driver name, which is rt73usb.ko.

That driver, rt73usb, is supplied as part of the kernel in Xerus, amazingly, so you don't need to download and compile the tar file at that link.

Here are the files and the modifno for it:

:~$ locate rt73
                    Code:
                    /lib/firmware/rt73.bin
                    /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.ko
                    /lib/modules/4.4.0-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.ko
                    As you can see, the firmware for the rt73usb is already in /lib/firmware.

:~$ modinfo rt73usb
                    Code:
                    filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.0-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.ko
                    license:        GPL
                    firmware:       rt73.bin
                    description:    Ralink RT73 USB Wireless LAN driver.
                    version:        2.3.0
                    author:         http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com
                    srcversion:     FE4ADCE723A8C0B21A28A01
                    alias:          usb:v0586p3415d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0CDEp001Cd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v7167p3840d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v2019pAB50d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v2019pAB01d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0471p200Ad*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v6933p5001d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0769p31F3d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DF6p9712d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DF6p90ACd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DF6p002Fd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DF6p0027d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DF6p0024d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1740p7100d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v04E8p4471d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v18E8p6238d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v18E8p6229d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v18E8p6196d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0812p3101d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v148Fp2671d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v148Fp2573d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v04BBp093Dd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1B75p7318d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DB0pA874d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DB0pA861d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DB0p6874d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DB0p6877d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0DB0p4600d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v13B1p0028d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v13B1p0023d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v13B1p0020d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v06F8pE020d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v06F8pE010d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v06F8pE002d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1472p0009d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1044p800Ad*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1044p8008d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v15A9p0004d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1740p3701d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v7392p7618d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v7392p7318d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07D1p3C07d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07D1p3C06d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07D1p3C04d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07D1p3C03d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07AAp002Ed*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v14B2p3C22d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1371p9032d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1371p9022d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v178Dp02BEd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0411p0137d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0411p0119d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0411p0116d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0411p00F4d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0411p00E6d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0411p00D9d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0411p00D8d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v08DDp0120d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1631pC019d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v050Dp905Cd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v050Dp905Bd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v050Dp705Ad*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v050Dp7050d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0B05p1724d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0B05p1723d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v1690p0722d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v18C5p0002d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v0EB0p9021d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v148Fp9021d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v14B2p3C10d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07B8pB21Fd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07B8pB21Ed*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07B8pB21Dd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07B8pB21Cd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    alias:          usb:v07B8pB21Bd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
                    depends:        rt2x00lib,rt2x00usb,crc-itu-t
                    intree:         Y
                    vermagic:       4.4.0-22-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 
                    parm:           nohwcrypt:Disable hardware encryption. (bool)
                    If you open a Konsole and issue lshw and look for "businfo:", under the "*network" which shows your dongle, you'll see the bus info, which should be present in the ailias listing shown above. If not, then your dongle isn't rated for the rt73usb kernel object and may or may not work properly. Unfortunately the only user setable parameter (parm) is nohwcrypt. It is probably set to false and I'd leave it at that. The other three dependent kernel objects have no parm's to set.

I suspect that if you ran lsmod in a Konsole it would show the rt73usb mod already loaded, along with the three dependency files. If that is the case then perhaps your network configuration has a problem.

Comment

sounds likeu can afford much better tech than i then GreyGeek! i'm scrabbling around for bits on ebay....i have several logitech/ wireless one's, all similar era....guess over a decade now though! that problem not re-occured since though....so I'm not worrying on that one at the moment. same on the dongle...hadn't thought/ realised.....but yes it is quite old now but was working well so didn't think about it...until the SSD switch over......all i can think is that whatever software/ driver running for it is running so fast that the dongle can't quite keep up with it....

all that tech stuff you said though....afraid I'm not that good with linux, never was much of a programmer....so i think my best option is to try and get a new dongle now...i just looked and shockingly they're up to 300mbps now! from memory i think this one was about 56k....but even a 150mbps one should be a lot faster and i'm not sure the 300mbps one would be able to match the man's hub....will have to look into it a bit more.

but here's the other thing that is doing my nut....for years the @ and pound sound was wrong for linux....as i said earlier it seems they fixed on an upgrade but now it's not working anymore after another update....anybody know what is going on there?

Comment

My laptop is 5 years old and its not in my budget to replace it anytime soon. The thermal paste is drying out so I keep a fan on the bottom all the time. I would take it apart and replace the paste but my hands shake so much it would be a difficult task. Even typing is becoming a chore. Your TL-WN321G is a 54Mb dongle that sells for $15 at Amazon. My Logitech M325 is available at Amazon for the same price. I had a much faster Acer but I swapped it for my Grandson's Acer because he "needed" it.

I don't follow your sound problem (@ and pound sound)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

British monetary 'pound' sign, and what the British use the @ sign for, also monetary (?).
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            My laptop is 5 years old and its not in my budget to replace it anytime soon. The thermal paste is drying out so I keep a fan on the bottom all the time. I would take it apart and replace the paste but my hands shake so much it would be a difficult task. Even typing is becoming a chore. Your TL-WN321G is a 54Mb dongle that sells for $15 at Amazon. My Logitech M325 is available at Amazon for the same price. I had a much faster Acer but I swapped it for my Grandson's Acer because he "needed" it.

well, that was a typo...meant pound sign, not pound sound! :-( dunno what is wrong with me sometimes.....and for @ you have to press shift and 2 and if you want ' you have to press the @ sign....but few days ago it fixed itself but now it's back to how it was.....so i'm a bit what the....?

that is a bit harsh on the tech....always been a desktop man myself and have been building them on and off for years- i've got few medical probs myself which makes it bit difficult now and i'm not even 40 yet....$15 dollars for an old dongle like that sounds bit taking the piss though! U should check out ebay...you can 300mbps dngles now from china for a few pounds, which is still lot less than half u quoting for the 54mbps. cost of tech is also a lot cheaper stateside....i think you would be surprised, even for a second hand laptop....

Comment

@ sign? email addresses usually? I still mistype that one in ten times because of the keyboard thing and i've been using linux abt 18 months now

Comment

here's another weird thing it's just started doind last couple of days....i know it's bad, but i got nearly 300 tabs open on firefox....over two windows.....suddenly, for no apparent reason and quite randomly it will simply grab the tab i'm on and open it in a new window.....which locks up the machine for 30 seconds or so and is getting to be extremely annoying.....anybody else suddenly started getting that? wonder if it's a firefox thing.....

Comment

Working...
                                X