Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't they teach us NOT to go to sketchy-looking websites to run or download software ? Most of the site is down, but the site itself just doesn't look right. It kinda looks like a sell-you-software site.

Comment

"Pssst!!", says the voice coming out of the darkened ally.

"Come on back here, I have some neat software to show you", he adds, opening up his trench coat to reveal several rows of crystal cases containing CDs.

"Come and get'm ...Office, Photoshop, AutoCad, ... and more! ..... $5 each!"

That kind of website?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

No, more of the "speed up your slow computer with our special software"
        or
        the "Your computer has been infected - download our sooper speshul cure here" (Antivirus 2010 comes to mind lol)
        Hitman Pro just sounds bad

Though, if it really were a malware site, it would probably look more professional
        Last edited by claydoh; Apr 23, 2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

In addition to running a firewall and operating with least privilege, keeping up-to-date is critical. Let Windows Update do its thing, always.

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
          the era of the trash 80s
          I had one of those! Why don't PCs come with fake woodgrain panels anymore? Something wrong with looking like a Buick?

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
          I have learned an enormous amount in the last two months, but am still an absolute greenhorn.
          But a smart greenhorn -- you joined KFN and you're active!

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          "Pssst!!", says the voice coming out of the darkened ally.
          That "alley" would be the Wan Chi Computer Center on Hennessey Road in Hong Kong. I saw a copy of Windows XP there for HK$2.00 -- about US$0.50. Right next to the oh-so-real Visual DBase 2000 (I kid you not).
          Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 24, 2012, 01:06 AM. Reason: Typo.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            That "alley" would be the Wan Chi Computer Center on Hennessey Road in Hong Kong. I saw a copy of Windows XP there for HK$2.00 -- about US$0.50. Right next to the oh-so-real Visual DBase 2000 (I kid you not).
            I've heard things were cheaper in the Orient, but that's getting close to free!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Did you walk out of the Wan Shi Station and turn right, heading to McDonald's and notices this little cubby hole:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cheap_shop1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	639902

Comment

Down the street to the west a bit. It's Wan Chi station exit A4. Walk out of the station and turn left. It's the colorful building with the escalator in the corner.

Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 24, 2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

And there's the ally! (Not too dark, though!)

I've noticed that GooleEarth (Maps too) doesn't have the accuracy it used to have.

Comment

Working...
                  X