This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdesudo equivalent for lxde?

I installed lxde(Lubuntu) in a Kubuntu Maverick partition and needed to do sudo kate file while in lxde.

lxdesudo, xdesudo, etc returned errors. kdesudo finally worked but I don't know if that's because I had already installed Kubuntu and added lxde as an afterthaught or what.

Does anyone know if Lubuntu has an equivalent to kdesudo?

Ken.
    Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Re: kdesudo equivalent for lxde?

IIRC, LXDE is a GTK-based desktop environment. With that being the case, you can probably use gksu and it'll integrate nicely and not bring in a bunch of extra dependencies. (The only thing to keep in mind is that you might want to throw a --no-install-recommends on the "apt-get install" command since gksu does recommend gnome-keyring)

Comment

Re: kdesudo equivalent for lxde?

I was wondering what people use for a graphical sudo. I am unhappy with gksu as it has, in my opinion, unnecessary dependencies (gnome-keyring). I was wondering what people use as a replacement for it.

In fact, does LXDE need its own graphical sudo application? If so, I would be happy to contribute one.
      Please contribute one if you can.
      We really need one.
      But we still have another problem, policyKit.
      The use of sudo is now gradually replaced by policykit.
      ...but not full yet...- from http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1348
      LXPOLKIT – SIMPLE POLICYKIT AUTHENTICATION AGENT.
      Generally when one needs to use policykit, he or she needs to install policykit-gnome. Now we have our own. A new component LXPolkit was added. It’s minimal policykit authentication agent.
      - from http://blog.lxde.org/?p=674
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: kdesudo equivalent for lxde? Solved.

Thanks guys. Thanks for the links.
        For Lubuntu it seems "gksu" works by default.
        It looks like kdesudo is OK for the lxde installed on top of Kubuntu.

I'll have to look into the policykit thing. Don't really understand that yet.

Ken.
        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Working...
        X