Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

network connection disconnects after a couple minutes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network connection disconnects after a couple minutes.

About a month ago I began to notice that while browsing with FF I'd get a temporary hang. I'd open a Konsole and ping google.com. After a second or two pings would start returning and FF would resume browsing again. A couple days ago I got an update on the kernel. Now, withing a couple minutes of opening FF, or any other browser, the network would disconnect. Logs showed either a "reason=2" or "reason=3". Strangely, only a ping would reveal the internet connection didn't work. Wicd continued to show the green bar indicating a connection. Ifconfig showed my wlan0 still had an IP assignment. The routing table looked normal, and /etc/resolv.conf still held my ISPs DNS info.

Using wicd to "stop" and reconnect restored the connection, but a ping test showed that the connection broke after 46 echos, plus or minus a couple. The logs showed 120 seconds between connects and disconnects. Booting in the previous kernel did not help. A Google search showed this problem to be a regression. It had happened before and is happening again. It doesn't matter what kernel is being used or which desktop, or even which distro.

Some appear to have resolved their problem by disabling IPv6. Some running wicd found that moving to KNetowrkManager helped, and some found the opposite to be true.

Here is what I found that works around the problem for me:
    Power up the cable modem and wireless. Power up my notebook. After FF hangs, use Wicd to disconnect my access point. Without closing the wicd manager I power cycle the modem and wireless and then click the connection button to my access point. It makes a connection and stays up until I power down at night.

An addendum:
    I used the technique of disabling IPv6 and rebooted. So far, my connection has stayed up. So, the IPv6 solution may be one which works, thus eliminating the necessary of power cycling the wireless and modem the first time I turn things on.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: network connection disconnects after a couple minutes.

I've never had such a problem, and IPv6 is enabled here.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X