This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Xserver failure after yesterday's kernel update

Just a "heads up" for those who took the kernel update yesterday and had boot problems"

The kernel was automatically updated yesterday (8/19/10). When I rebooted yesterday my xserver started up and usually and so did my KDE4 desktop.

That was a warm reboot. This morning I did a cold boot. My splash screen never displayed. Only a little "dash" appeared in the upper left corner of the screen. I rebooted, edited the grub line and removed the "quiet splash" parameters, and continued. The problem was a fragmentary xorg.conf file. I deleted it and rebooted. I got my desktop back and things are normal again.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: [SOLVED] Xserver failure after yesterday's kernel update

Just good I'm using the 2.6.34 mainline kernel rather than that old 2.6.32 stuff
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

It wasn't the kernel's fault. The upgrade itself barfed a lung.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I see, the only weird thing I've seen for the last couple of days was it panicked once but immediately told me it was going to reboot in 30 seconds and that's pretty much all.
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
        X