This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE and Xfce4 mix?

Just curious if anyone here has both, KDE and Xfce4 Desktop Environments installed on their PC, and if they have any comments/observations of having done so. I've done a simulated install of Xfce4, and there are no existing KDE DE packages to be removed, so that would suggest that installing this DE would not create any conflicts. But I'd like to know from anyone who has done this before I give it a try. (My current Karmic system is 'as I like it' and don't want to jeopardize it. )
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: KDE and Xfce4 mix?

Not on the same machine. I have XFCE (Xubuntu) by itself, but I can say that XFCE is a nice DE.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
      Not on the same machine. I have XFCE (Xubuntu) by itself, but I can say that XFCE is a nice DE.
      "I'll second that notion. I have both on the same machine, but, different Distros, still they are KDE and Xfce and the latest cutting edge performance in both. BTW, I had both on the same partition using Kubuntu 9.04 with Xfce Desktop late last year and there were no conflicts then.
      Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

I have kde, gnome, and xfce on the same system (karmic). No conflicts that I have discovered, although I really don't like xfce and therefore have done little more than confirm it works.
        PS I'm not sure what version of XFCE I have; it's whatever is current in the standard (meaning non-beta non-experimental) repositories.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

yes I to have have gnome,xfce4,fluxbox,E16,E17and XBMC all as DM's from the login on Kubuntu 9.10 net upgraded from 9.04. and just the standerd repos (for the most part)

the onley querk I have is that opening a Gnome app (nautilus) in fluxbox or xfce4 will pule in the gnome desktop............ya the gnome desktop just apears and wont go away and some things like the menus are now gnome.

log out and back in to witchever one you were in and you get the default for that DM back.

the Karmic KDE desktop and system have never had eney ??...... overflow??..... from the other DM's though ..........just flux and xfce4 geting the gnome stuff puled in with a gnome app being launched........

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Funny this topic came up. I had Xubuntu karmic laying around for a while. I just installed it tonight, but on a different partition and the same hard drive.

Your wanting to know how well it would work for both KDE and Xfce to under one umbrella.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
            X