This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuartet

I recently decided to try and install Kuartet. However I'm new to this stuff and think I might have messed up at some point, as my screen is now completely white except for my mouse cursor moving around.

I followed the steps listed at the http://kuartetdesktop.sourceforge.ne...mentation.html
    1. Downloaded latest release.
    2. Unpacked the archive in my home directory, and went there.
    3. As root, I copied the kuartetlib directory to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ (there was a 2.4 and 2.5 and I wasn't sure if it'd make a difference).
    4. I Made the directory /usr/share/kuartet.
    5. Then copied these folders to it.
    - settings/
    - themes/
    - images/
    - configdialogs/
    - plugins/

6. I tried clicking on one of the .py files in the apps folder, but it just opened the file in a text editor.
    7. Somehow I got turned onto the idea that I needed to install SuperKaramba so opened Adept to do so.
    8. Once SuperKaramba opened it said something about needing to enable Desktop Enhancements to support transparency.
    9. I opened the System Settings and found the checkbox to do that, hit apply and suddenly all I could see was a black screen, my cursor on top of it, and faint outlines of the applications that were open. I rebooted, and what was black turned to white.

Can anyone help me to undo/fix this?

Re: Kuartet

You on 8.04 and KDE 3.5.10?

And I thought kuartet was lying dormant... It'd be great if they carried on!

Either way, the sledgehammer method would be to rename your ~/.kde folder and try to login again. That should definitely work. Alternatively have a look at ~.kde/share/config/kwinrc

HTH
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'm on 8.10 w/KDE 4.1

renaming ~/.kde worked, what do you think was causing the issue?

Any thoughts on how I could get this fixed/operational?

Comment

What graphic card do you have? Did the install tell you at any time that there are proprietary drivers that need to be installed?

Check the link to the FAQs in my signature. There is a great section on envy in there which, with any luck, should enable your graphic card (provided it is ati or nvidia).
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I ran...
          Code:
          sudo lshw -class display
          is that correct? According to that, my Graphics card appears to be SiS.

The Display worked fine before and now, it was only when I tried getting SuperKaramba up an running by clicking ¨Enable Desktop Effects¨ do you think that would be graphics card related?

Comment

Hey, that is a cool command, I would have done
            Code:
            lshw|grep display -A12
            tried getting SuperKaramba up an running by clicking ¨Enable Desktop Effects¨
            I was more worried about your X kissing you good-bye 'cos you enabled desktop effects. Have you managed to enable effects before or was it just your superkaramba that caused it?

Comment

Yeah, I removed SuperKaramba and enabling Desktop Effects still causes the same black screen. So does that mean it is likely an issue linked to my graphics card?

It looks like there´s a driver at http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsispart1.shtml

But I am not familiar enough with linux to build it myself, any pointers?

Comment

Nope, I suggest you search both this forum and, failing that, the Ubuntu forum with the precise name as spat out from your lshw --class display command.

Chances you are the first one with this particular problem are pretty slim

Comment

Working...
                X