This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Compiz] Are my settings OK

I posted the following on the Compiz Fusion forum, but nobody bothers to reply, so I hope I'll have more luck here, among my fellow Kubuntu users.

I'd like to hear your opinion about the following software settings, and if I can tune up my system even better to suit the hardware of my PC.

Hardware:
    • Pentium 4; 1.8 GHz
    • Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS, 256 MB
    • RAM: 768 MB

Software:
    • Kubuntu 7.10
    • KDE 3.5.9
    • Compiz Fusion 0.7.2:
    • Nvidia-settings:
    • Compiz Fusion Icon: indirect Rendering: on; Loose Binding: on
    • xorg.conf Screen section:
    Code:
            Option          "RenderAccel"   "true"
            Option          "TripleBuffer"  "true"
            Option          "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
            Option          "Coolbits"      "1"
            Option          "BackingStore"  "true"
            Option          "NVAGP" "1"
            Option          "AddARGBGLXVisuals"     "True"
            Option          "DamageEvents"          "True"

Also scrolling in Firefox is very choppy, even with smooth scrolling turned off.
    In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Re: [Compiz] Are my settings OK

yes i guess i really need that reply to this question too.. my settings are almost the same.

and... where did you get that nvidia settings anyways? tell me bruv
    Open source is like a good sex; because its better when you do it free!

Comment

YES, on the CCSM setting.

Which version of the Nvidia driver are you running? The older ones need that customized list of xorg.conf options, but 177.xx does not (except you still have to manually add "coolbits"), and I'm not sure whether 173.xx does nor not.

On "OpenGL" you might want to try un-checking "sync to vblank" and check "allow flipping" instead -- that's how mine is set, and I see no issues scrolling Firefox.

When Firefox opens on my system, there is a momentary display of video artifacts from whatever was previously displayed. It's a little disconcerting, but not a problem, just a "feature" I guess.

Comment

Oh, I completely forgot about this thread! I will reply anyway, perhaps somebody might find this post useful.

and... where did you get that nvidia settings anyways?
        Nvidia-settings is a package that you can install via apt-get. It offers many useful configuration settings for your Nvidia video card.

Anyway, I still have the same hardware (see first post), but instead of Kubuntu I now use Xubuntu 8.10. With the following settings I get very decent results:

Compiz startup command:
        Code:
        __GL_YIELD="NOTHING" compiz --replace --loose-binding --indirect-rendering && emerald --replace &
        For explanation of the above commands, see man compiz.real

@dibl, I'm running 177.xx version. I tried commenting out those additional options in xorg.conf file and everything seems normal, so I guess you're right.

On "OpenGL" you might want to try un-checking "sync to vblank" and check "allow flipping" instead
        I did that and I notice improvement. Thanks!
        In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

Working...
        X