Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to install Compiz Installation on Kubuntu 7.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to install Compiz Installation on Kubuntu 7.10?

I'm a newbi, who' help me about install Compiz Installation on Kubuntu 7.10, thanks

Re: how to install Compiz Installation on Kubuntu 7.10?

Maybe I can help you.

There's a lot of guidance already posted on this forum and Ubuntu Forum. The high-level process:

1. New Way --

a. Enable "Restricted Driver Manager" for your video card

b. Enable your "Advanced Desktop Effects", and if you're lucky it just works.

2. Old Way --

a. Install and configure a video driver for your graphics system.

b. Enable and verify glx capability (verify by opening Konsole and running "glxgears").

c. Install the Compiz and Emerald packages, and verify that the Emerald window decorator works, by running "emerald --replace" and observing the window titlebars change.

d. "compiz --replace" runs the effects.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm running 8.04 beta and i see they have a heading for enabling the desktop effects. When i enable this i get some desktop effects but nothing like when i installed compiz (under 7.10) the old way, i.e no cubes, transparency, worbling etc. Have i missed a trick some where. My card works well currently showing about 10000 fps.

Comment

You probably need to open KMenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (I think that's the name of it).

On the "General" tab, set the horizontal size to 4. "X" the "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" icons, along with "Viewport Switcher" and whatever other effects you fancy, such as Wobbly Windows and Cube Reflection.

Comment

Actually that's what i thought and after checking again under kmenu>settings i only have Nvidia xserver settings. No advanced desktop settings. I was hoping to get a table with those settings but must be well hidden.

Comment

I think you're looking at KMenu>System>Settings. You need to go to KMenu>Settings. (I know, how could it be more confusing? .... :P)

Comment

Viewport Switcher

On the "General" tab, set the horizontal size to 4. "X" the "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" icons, along with "Viewport Switcher" and whatever other effects you fancy, such as Wobbly Windows and Cube Reflection.

Comment

advanced desktop settings

what i thought and after checking again under kmenu>settings i only have Nvidia xserver settings. No advanced desktop settings. I was hoping to get a table with those settings but must be well hidden.

Comment

Working...
                X